1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Isle of Wight

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by Per, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Per

Per Well-Known Member

Hi all.
    I've managed to wangle a long weekend in Brook on the SW coast of IoW. I'm interested in Landscapes and close-ups.

There are some obvious landscape opportunities around Alum Bay and Tennyson Down on the West side, but I'll be short of time to hunt for other winners.

Can Bazzac or Fen share some of their expertise?

Anyone else spent some time togging on the Island point me in the right direction?

2. Fen

Fen The Destroyer

Hi Per,

Never done any photography on the island. Sorry !

3. Rustyknight

Rustyknight Well-Known Member

If you're into castles, there's Carisbrooke Castle, which is in the middle of the island near Newport.

On the eastern end of the island is Bembridge, a prettyish harbour that has some strange houseboats on it's southern shore.

4. liamjames91

liamjames91 Well-Known Member

you should go the the culver down, just near whitecliff bay, which is very nice, the culver down has the old battlements and a view of most of the island, btw ive been on holiday there for 11 years running for a 2 week summer holiday, until i finally persuaded the family to try somewhere different, which was ireland for the past 2 years :) have a look on google maps here
    then zoom out to see where it is hope this helps :)

5. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

I know at a certain time of year they hold a cricket match on a sandbank, no idea when though..

6. Rustyknight

Rustyknight Well-Known Member

I think you're referring to the Brambles Bank cricket match..... which alas has already been held this year.

Still, there's always next year. :D

7. sunrise

sunrise New Member

My Grandparents retired to Freshwater so I would spend most of my school holidays there in the 70s & early 80s. It is beautiful. As you rightly say Tennyson Down and Alum Bay are beautiful. If you walk up the public footpath which runs through Freshwater Bay Gold club you can get stunning views back to Tennyson Down as well as north towards Yarmouth and the Mainland. Compton Bay further along the road is also a great place for photos looking back to the cliffs. It's quite amazing how the chalk cliffs suddenly change into a clay/sandy base which sadly is gradually eroding into the sea. Since I first starte going there in early 70s much of the Southwest coast has disappeared into the sea.

Anyway this is just one small part of a beautiful island. There is a great walk from Freshwater to Yarmouth alond an ld railway line. It follows the Rover Yar so good opportunites for bird photos as well as views.

Enjoy! :D
    Sunrise

8. Per

Per Well-Known Member

Cheers Sunrise - and welcome to the forum! I can see exactly what you mean on the map.

Fen, humble apologies - could have sworn I saw your name while searching old threads :eek:

Anybody care to comment on St. Catherine's Point or Sandown Pier?

9. Fen

Fen The Destroyer

I've been there lots of times, but never for photography. My Aunt and Uncle used to live down there so used to spend summer holiday from school down there.

10. robcmar

robcmar Active Member

I'm on the island end of July/early August. Any suggestions for non-landscape photos ?