1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is your flower garden still in bloom?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Pete Bony, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Pete Bony

Pete Bony Well-Known Member

I have never known a year like this one! I'm sure it's all to do with the changing extremes of weather we have had this year but my flower garden (What little there is of it) has gone completely mad. I still have roses (Both standard and patio roses) not only in flower but still producing more new flower buds ready to bloom. I have Sweet Peas that were over eight feet tall (My fault for not pinching the tops out) which are still flowering. And I now have what I think are some alpines (Not sure exactly what they are) growing in a small low dry stone wall that surrounds the roots of an evergreen that have just decided to start flowering again - They did flower heavily throughout the summer but ended flowering more than a month ago.
    Are any other members experiencing "strange things" happening with the plants in their gardens?

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

We've got these but I think this is the time of year when they're supposed to be out...

Panasonic TZ70 8GB H05 P1030088.JPG

3. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Over the last few days, I've noticed a rose appearing in the garden hedge. No idea what type, but it's whitish.

4. Valley Ally

Valley Ally Active Member

Yep, my dog rose hedge has new buds - but has started losing leaves the last couple of days...

5. Pete Bony

Here are a couple of photos of the roses which have fresh flower buds on them, unfortunately they show that I have more aphids than I would have liked so I know where the next bowl of soapy washing up water is going. The first photo is of the "alpine"(?) that has just started to flower again, if anyone can identify it I would be thankful.
    Garden 001.JPG Garden 002.JPG Garden 005.JPG

6. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

My walk in the wood revealed some trees just coming into bud among others which had all but lost their leaves. 'twas strange indeed.

7. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I don't have a garden but I do have a couple of gerbera daisies inside and one of them having not really flowered much all summer is now putting out massive blooms!

8. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Petunia and lobelia still going strong, one rose has 2 blooms. My last place I had roses still in bloom in the snow in February, they'd start again in late April.

9. Pete Bony

After reading the replies on this thread it really does seem that the seasons are all over the place this year. Could it be a run up to a long or hard winter?

10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Still got roses out, one stubborn gladiolus, various 'wild flowers' and a wee alpine. Oh, and the sunflowers which survived the winds are still blooming very well. Winter jasmine is in bloom but that's not surprising.

11. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

We've got a small pond, and this year the water lily has gone into overdrive. We've had more flowers this year than in the last 10 years or more, and it's put out another flower this week. In previous years, we've only had one or two flowers which have finished by early September.

12. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

I live on the greensand ridge in Bedfordshire. Dig down a foot and you are into yellow "beach" sand.

The arid summer that we have just experienced has murdered my garden. I have lost mature shrubs and those that have survived are a shadow of their former selves.

I have started to rebuild and yesterday I planted two hebe rakaiensis to replace two that I lost. A third rakaiensis that survived had many dead branches. I have cut them all out and at present it looks very odd, but I'm hoping it will recover.

13. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

I wonder whether it's down to the Beast From The East? We had a number of fuchsias that looked dead after the Beast, but they all pulled through, albeit quite late into spring before they showed signs of life.

14. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I think your alpine might be nettle-leaved bellflower - I'm sure it's some kind of campanula, anyway.

Adrian

15. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

I still have roses in bloom, and there are a few blooms on my passion flower.

16. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

window boxes?

I guess having no garden is one less job to do!

I hate gardening, a nice green lawn for the dogs and a few planters and that’s me done.

17. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

There are many roses, small flowers on the alpine rockery and plenty on various flowering bushes.