1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this worth blowing up?

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by Louise, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

Not literally (I'm not a terrorist) but I would like this to be an A3 print, do you think it's worth it please?

Attached Files:

corncrake likes this.
  2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I would say the simple answer to this is not whether anybody here thinks it's worth it, but whether you do!

3. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. If it gives you pleasure, then it matters not a jot what we think. :)

4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Sure, but I'd probably have the sky off and a bit from the bottom. But no idea if the file size is enough for A3.

5. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

It looks good to me, I'd give it space on the wall.

But it's really your choice.

6. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

Can you recommend a canvass company please?

7. Plutus

Plutus Well-Known Member

DS Colour Labs, Manchester.
    They have a good website.

8. RovingMike

Thing to check is whether they wrap around or just print the top surface. If they are supplying it mounted on a stretcher, white edges don't really look good and are more suitable for having it professionally framed, which can cost a bomb.

9. Nikonchris

Nikonchris Well-Known Member

10. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I have had good experiences at Photobox but I have no other supplier to compare them to

11. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I've had a lot of very good normal prints from Photobox, but the canvas prints I've had have been from Your Image On Canvas ( https://yourimageoncanvas.co.uk/create-your-canvas-prints/). The material they use is sort of plasticy, not exactly what I would think of as canvas, but they do look very nice hanging on the wall. And they do wrap the image around the frame. They run special offers quite frequently, so if you're not in a hurry, it might be worth waiting and watching for a while.

One downside is that they have a fairly limited range of sizes and aspect ratios.

12. Plutus

Plutus Well-Known Member

DS Colour give you wrap around options when you order.

13. corncrake

corncrake Well-Known Member

Lighting...WOW!!! superb. You ask if it warrants going A3 ......Definitely...

14. IvorCamera

IvorCamera In the Stop Bath

As others have said if it brings you pleasure then why not......but do be carefull about file sizes and calibrated monitor settings what you may see on your monitor might be slightly different to what the final printed out picture might look like. You also asked what do others think of the picture this is my opinion, this picture is all about the lighting and the conditions that you were blessed with when you took the picture, if the picture was mine and indeed every photographer has different thoughts on the finished picture then for me I would cut the top and bottom off the image and concentrate on the two surfers walking across the sand.....as I have said that is only my personal opinion.....best wishes...

15. RovingMike

Not sure if Snapfish do canvas, but avoid them either way.Lots of complaints online and they just let me down badly.

Louise likes this.
  16. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I'm sure Castle Cameras offer canvas prints.

17. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

Bit like Boots. there's so many complaints about Boots photo lab "£$%^*& up photo's, it's no wonder some of them are closing down.

18. peanuts

peanuts Well-Known Member

Its a lovely picture and if it means something to you go for it. My only worry is that canvas can run images like this, I would think about getting in printed on good quality matt paper and framing with a nice mount instead. But it is preference...

Louise likes this.
  19. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

It looks American

20. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

It does rather, but it is a UK web address.