1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is this overdone

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by cliveva, Nov 6, 2020.

1. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

First time here, I tend to process my shots with more subtly .
    shot at Brean Sands, Somerset wreck for ap.jpg

Terrywoodenpic likes this.
  2. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

The timbers are not sharp enough to be comfortable viewing.
    However the idea holds a lot of promise.
    It is certainly worth a revisit.

3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Yeah, something doesn't look quite right. I also think the wreck should be central. It looks a bit odd off centre.

4. dream_police

So little can be done as the file as posted is so small and together with the banding on the sky it looks to some extent worse, however on a 222kb file i would want it more like this. A bit brighter and square to bring the boat into the centre. If I was starting from scratch it would be a bit different obviously

[​IMG]wreck for ap by Nigel G, on Flickr

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I had a go. As ever this is just my opinion. Nothing to say whether it is right/wrong or worthy of consideration :)

Symmetry is important so I cropped a bit off the right. I tend to "like" standard aspect ratios so to make it 5x4 I took some off the bottom as well. I think it is a shame that the top of the interesting cloud is clipped. It is a bit soft - either a focus issue (too close) or movement. The gradient filter on the sky is a bit harsh. I tried originally to lighten the vignetting but it reveals banding and a horrid dust bunny top left which is visible in Nige's edit - I fixed it and the splodge in the very top left which Nige cut out. The blacks are blocked up on the timbers on the right. I tried to level the horizon but I don't think the rotation I added amounted to anything much. It is difficult to see the sea below the hills. I also dropped the contrast and brought up the shadows a bit, added a small amount of sharpening and clarity.

To minimise banding don't use any extra compression when creating a jpeg. Resizing is enough to get the file-size down.

It is a nice subject. I'd first try focus on the warning buoy and see if I can get the front timbers sharp. This is something that will need F11 or so. It helps to leave the EXIF information in the file so we can see the settings used.

not mine.jpg

6. cliveva

I downsized a small jpeg, my original is sharp. Should I use a downsized large file, i.e. TIFF, or high jpeg and repost. It was shot at f16 on a 24mm lens.
    Thanks for the helpful comments.

7. dream_police

You can't post a high res jpeg directly to here (1MB limit). You can post it on flickr if you have it and embed it on here, just like I posted my edit (which I will delete after a while for you)

8. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Having years of experience of taking photos at the shore and in all conditions, I found it was really important to check the cleanliness of the lens. I had many photos with unintended soft focus because of the air conditions near the sea. You probably know this, but it is always worth a reminder.

9. PeteRob

I use Lightroom. From the processed raw file of my Canon 5Ds (50 MP) I export a jpg, size maximum length side 800 pixels and highest quality sharpened for screen. This is a file size of about 300 kb for an average scene.

For editing your picture above I saved it to disk, opened it in OnOne camera raw. Exported the results as 800 px longest side jpg, highest quality, sharpened for screen. Because I cropped the original resizing added some “made up” information.

10. PeteRob

Flickr resizing is a sometimes works, sometimes doesn’t experience. Best to save a 800 px image and link to the original. I now only publish 800 px images to Flickr. Old images on there are large jpg size.

11. cliveva

12. PeteRob

I wonder what you did to make the first version posted. The original is better. I more or less repeated what I did before to make this 800 px version from the original. Much clearer. The top left corner was cleaner so I think you did some work on it! No banding anymore.

not mine.jpg

cliveva and RovingMike like this.
  13. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I think a new raw conversion could lift some of the blocking in the shadows. It doesn't really suit very dense blacks.

14. cliveva

Thanks all, will go back to the RAW, start afresh, and see what transpires ..........