1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Vormulac, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Vormulac

Vormulac Active Member

Hi folks,

I got my K10D this evening, my first DSLR and I'm trying to figure out how the devil it works! My question is that when I pick the camera up and tilt/move it about I feel slight movement from within it - is that normal? Obviously I know there are moving parts in there, but they're not meant to be totally stationary most of the time are they?

Cheers! :D

2. Dave_Cox

Dave_Cox Well-Known Member

Easy - read the first few pages of the manual - unlike some it's actually quite straightforward. Charge the battery, put it in and turn it on. I'm not being flippant -it's that easy
    Mine is as solid as a rock - nothing moves unless it has to when taking a pic. I'd suggest testing it to see if it works - if it does then you're probably ok.
    Cheers! :D

[/QUOTE]

3. GnabGnab

GnabGnab Member

Juat tryed my one. If you ditatch the lens u should be able to feel if its the body or not. I feel a littlt movement when I wobblel the lens but the body is sturdy as.

4. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

The movement you are probably feeling is the "slide>thunk" of the Shake Reduction mechanism assembly moving freely about. The CCD moves to enable shake reduction with any lens.

5. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Yes, I agree with John, my K10D does the same. A deep muffled clunk as the camera is moved around. Similar noise to when the 'shake dust' operates but less violent.

6. Vormulac

Vormulac Active Member

Phew! That's a relief! I'm glad it's not just mine :)
    It seems to take pictures ok (bearing in mind it's got a numpty like me pressing the button). I really am a total newbie at all this, I thought that storing photos in RAW format would be .RAW files that I could open in Photoshop, I see that they're actually .DNG and Photoshop hasn't got a clue what to do with them!
    Thanks for your help folks, I'm sure I'll be back with lots of questions before long!

V.

7. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

DNG is an Adobe format but you can't open them directly in PS like a JPEG. You need to use the a raw converter. If you have one of the more recent versions of PS (Elements 5/6, or a CS package) the RAW converter is part of the package and called Adobe Bridge I think...

8. Monobod

You need to open Adobe Bridge from the small icon in the middle top bar of Photoshop......

9. Vormulac

Vormulac Active Member

Thanks guys, I tried doing 'Open As' and ended up with a canvas full of static - I'll put it down to Photoshop v6.0 on my work machine just not being up to the job and hope I have better luck with CS2 on my machine at home tonight!

10. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

AFAIK nothing earlier than CS will handle raw. I have PS7 and that certainly doesn't...

11. johnriley1uk

You need CS2 or CS3 really and also whatever upgrade is needed to read the Pentax PEF files, or indeed the DNG ones.

Top quality JPEG will serve very well...

12. Vormulac

Vormulac Active Member

CS2 on my home machine is indeed opening them without drama - huzzah!

13. Monobod

But not if you wish to work on a lossless TIF file an 16 bit mode...... :)

14. johnriley1uk

After a JPEG-out-of-camera image is opened any re-save is always done as a TIFF. From that point onwards all saves should be lossless, the exception being of course images for web use.

15. Monobod

Just what I thought you would say, John. :D

Has your AP arrived yet, there is a two page summary of the K20D.

16. johnriley1uk

Yes, got it this morning, and very well presented it was too.

Glad to hear I'm at least consistent, by the way! :cool:

17. Monobod

Are you in the queue? I do not like the inflated price differential though, Pentax are pushing product (brand) loyalty a bit too far here I feel!

18. johnriley1uk

I'm waiting this time. Prices will fall and 14.6MP can wait for a little while at least.

I will buy the Pentax version though as it's my belief that the second hand value will be higher. You see I'm thinking of the next upgrade already.

19. Monobod

I agree, the highest prices will certainly be at the beginning. It didn't actually take very long for the K10D prices to fall after the initial launch. I will also buy the Pentax version because I cannot break the loyalty thing I have for Pentax. In the end, I know a rose by anyother name etc. etc., but I cannot be happy lugging a 'Samsung' badge around. It just isn't a Pentax.

Also, I am sure the firmware upgrades will be quicker and long term value will be higher, as you say.

20. sirmy

sirmy Well-Known Member

You say that you feel the movement when you tilt the camera so it could just be the slight freedo of movement the designers allowed the battery, mine tends to clunk when moved suddenly.