1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Is this iso REAL! or have things gone nutz

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Stephen Rundle, May 30, 2020.

1. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

Is this iso REAL! or have things gone nutz

tyh.jpg

2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

It's real.

3. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Actually my camera iso goes to 51200 and I have never gone above 3200.

4. Stephen Rundle

Yes but that is 1 MILLION+

I remember when 800asa fim was fast and once I even pushed hp5 to 1000asa

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

ChrisNewman and MJB like this.
  6. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

7. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

If it let me get a picture I couldn't otherwise, I'd go for it. YMMV of course.

RogerMac and ChrisNewman like this.
  8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Simply multiply 6,400 by 2 eight times and you get 1,638,400 which rounds nicely to 1,640,000 or for convenience 14 stops faster than ISO 100.
    It is a weakness of the ASA system, adopted by the International Standards Organisation, that each step was a doubling of the previous value. I dare say when ASA 25 was considered fast nobody saw any problem in that as they never expected that anything faster than ASA 800 was ever likely to be possible. In hindsight the DIN system would probably have served us better, progressing by one for each 1/3 stop increase in sensitivity thus ASA 100 was DIN 22 and ASA 200 DIN 25 etc.

9. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I don't see that as a weakness. If you're used to them, logarithmic systems such as Decibels or DIN film speeds are fine but most people are more comfortable with arithmetic systems. My experience is that it's much easier for new photographers to grasp shutter speeds than f-stops, hence the ASA film speed system won because it worked better for the majority of users.

ChrisNewman likes this.
  10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

It is a weakness only in that the numbers very quickly become unmanageable, in therms of understanding the effect an arithmetic scale is indeed easier for the majority to understand and, as each stop represents a doubling/halving of the light reaching the sensor, is arguably more logical.

11. Stephen Rundle

Does anyone have this camera, I'd love to see a 1.5m iso image...................... please

12. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

You would be very disappointed, unless doing a mono conversion of a random polka dot pattern. There are examples of IQ for different ISOs in the link in post #5

Stephen Rundle likes this.
  13. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

If Nikon made hi-fi amplifiers they would all have volume controls that 'go up to 11'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Up_to_eleven

Don't forget that the ASA (ISO) scale is linear, so the numbers grow big very quickly once the 'sensitivity' increases by 7 or 8 F stops.

The old European DIN scale was logarithmic (like the sound level decibel scale), and each doubling of 'sensitivity' only increased the DIN number by 3, which avoided big numbers that impress people who like big numbers.

So for ASA/ISO we have speeds of 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, etc, but for DIN these would be 21, 24, 27, 30, 33, etc.

I would be interesting to find out if any Forum members use very high ISO settings on digital cameras. My record is 8,000 when using a ancient 80-400 lens at 400 mm lens hand held at 1/1250 and F11 (no modern stuff like image stabilisation): I was amazed how good the result was.

Stephen Rundle likes this.
  14. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

fairly regularly I use 25,000 and the monthly theme entry I posted today on the illumination at York Minster used (I think) 11,000. You are welcome to download and check

15. Stephen Rundle

U use as high when shooting dawn and dusk for a sports magazine but to 1.5m

16. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

My first digital SLR was the Sony a100 .
    It's ISO went up to 1600 .
    That's right. 1600 , no noughts missing !

Unless you converted them to black and white , it was unusable . ISO 400 was it's highest useable speed .

I imagine 1,640,000 on the Nikon in 2020 is the same as the Sony was with 1600 in 2006 .

17. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Sony make many of the Nikon senors - albeit on different production lines. Sony is the 800-pound gorilla in the world of imaging sensors these days, as an estimated half of all sensors (and 70% of all smartphone camera sensors) are made by the company. -Times change. ;)

18. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

The Nikon D6 has a maximum ISO of 102,400

That can be expanded to 3,280,000:confused:

19. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Exactly one stop faster than the D500

20. Stephen Rundle

ridiculous