1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a known issue?

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by swanseadave, May 20, 2015.

1. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

On another forum I came across a post in which the OP complained of pictures taken with his Sony dSLR were "lower" than that seen through the viewfinder.

I take it that what he means is he gets material at the bottom not seen through the VF and the top of the frame cut off?

Is this a known fault since it was referred to as "that Sony problem" but I`ve never come across it.

2. Byegad

Byegad Active Member

IIRC most EVFs show less than 100% of the frame. So your friend is right, in that, there is more photo than you see in the EVF.

3. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

It could mean that the Steady Shot Inside has either failed, or has jammed in the up position, which is not unknown for early models. Is the steady shot icon showing as normal in the view-finder?

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Presumably it's an SLR or SLT? It's not uncommon for some slight misalignment between sensor and finder, especially with those cameras which have quite low finder fields of view -say under 95%. My 40D for instance is quite reasonable I get a bit extra on all sides but it's about the same all round but the older D30 is slight offset and I get a bit more on the bottom and left than I do on the top but, as a rational and reasonable person, it's not something I'd complain about.

If the poster on that forum is getting something really significant, like the top of peoples heads getting cut off when fully visible in the finder then there could be a mirror alignment problem with a reflex camera.

If it's a mirrorless jobbie then something's very odd as they have a WYSIWYG finder fed direct from the sensor...:confused:

5. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

IIRC it was an SLR he complained about and the shift was significant.

Oh well I was just curious since I`d not heard of it before.

6. Thunderer

Thunderer Well-Known Member

My Sony A290 had the same or similar problem. The anti shake mechanism jammed off centre although it shifts around from time to time. Repair would cost more than replacing it. I would have been happy to have the sensor locked in the central position but it seems not to be possible.
    Jeff