1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a Canon that could actually persuade me to ditch Nikon?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Barney, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

As per the title, is this camera a Canon that could actually persuade me to ditch Nikon?

I've got all the still DSLR kit I could wish for and anything else would be merely gilding the lily in real terms but I do not have a decent video option and this is one field I really want to get into. The chances of Nikon producing anything similar to the C100 are remote in the extreme and I don't want the additional costs of running two systems so logic dictates that I should switch to Canon for stills too. Food for thought anyway.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Re: Is this a Canon that could actually persuade me to ditch Nik

By the time you add some cinema lenses the cost of a complete 35 mm stills outfit becomes unimportant. Enjoy.

3. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

What about a Red? IIRC, you can use your Nikkor lenses with it. How does it work out cost-wise v. the Canon?

4. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

But the C100 has an EF mount thus enabling it to be used with standard 35mm lenses. Besides, no-one buys cinematic lenses anyway. That kind of kit is always rented.

5. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

I'm not sure, I've not delved too deeply into researching this yet - available funds are still a long way off at the moment. The C100 seems to come with a lot of the kit so that you can pretty much shoot straight from taking it out of the box whIch you'd need to buy first with other models.

6. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

I've just been reading a few comparisons between the C100 and the 5D3 a and they aren't really that far apart except in a few areas. I suppose really if you are video biased then the C100 is the winner but if you are mainly stills then the 5D3 must come into it.

7. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

The idea would be to have a C100 and a couple of 5D3 bodies and a shared pool of lenses. Although there might not be a huge amount of difference in image quality, a proper video camera will always handle better and there are other benefits such as in camera sound etc. which give the C100 more than an edge.

8. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Bear in mind that many video shooting is now done on dSLRs, I think the recent Snooker World Finals were done on D4s.

Follow-focus adaptors can be bought for the lenses, and the set up rigs for the cameras are all over the place.

The only thing I would look at when deciding apart from the general quality is the Rolling-Shutter distortion of each camera.
    This is a serious PitA in videos, and cameras which can do full-frame output quickly often have little or no rolling-shutter issues (Rolling shutter skew gives that weird bending effect on videos of Helicopter Rotors etc), although 3 sensor CCD seems to be a major factor (CCDs apparently don't suffer in the same way as CMOS sensors, although CMOS sensors can be made with little or no skew - I guess that is down to processor and memory speeds more than anything)

From a quick glance at Youtube, the C100 is at least 50% better at coping with RS Skew than the 5DMK3, and the D4s wasn't particularly brilliant.

As poionted out in a previous post, Red do some good stuff, but they have lost their USP; just a few years ago it was a no-brainer; Red sold really high spec gear at ridiculously cheap prices. Their systems are truly modular (you can change the sensor, processor and everything else) but their prices are no longer anywhere near as good as before.

I always make suggestions with price in mind, but if you are lucky enough for this not to be a major concern, then I would look at Red, Panasonic, Sony with Nikon mounts.

Most recommendations seem to be for a 3CCD model,and it may be a good idea to consider a camera without interchangeable lenses.

It comes down to how much you are going to use it, and what you are shooting.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  9. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Have you thought about a 6D instead of one of the 5D3s? Apparently the IQ is very close to identical and the 6D has some features that the bigger brother has not yet got - I am not sure how useful wi-fi (to me at any rate) is but the geo-taggig is very helpful on occasions.

10. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Andy, by the time you've paid for the rigs etc. for DSLRs you're there or thereabouts on the price of a dedicated video camera.

Rolling shutter is a minor issue, way down on the list of things to consider.

Roger, I've not spent any time looking into the pros and cons of various Canon DSLRs, I'm just intrigued by the C100. It would have to have a compelling reason to actually make me switch as I find the handling on Canon DSLR so counter intuitive that it's always been a barrier to me.

11. RogerMac

Barney, I will shut up until you ask any further questions. I do know how annoying a change of user interface can be - I added the 6D to my Oly outfit and use both for different jobs so I have had to get used to two different interfaces which took some time. Just as well that I only use very basic setups on both systems

12. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Please don't feel that Iw as telling you to shut up. I started this thread more to raise the point that it would take something other than the usual DLSR arms race for me to consider changing systems.

I find it hard enough going from D3 to D300. Up until seeing the C100 I had been considering switching to 2xD800 bodies. The D3 would still be a fine second body but it shares few key accessories (batteries, chargers remote triggers etc.) with the D4 or the D800.

13. RogerMac

Barney, I never thought you were telling me to shut, just that you were clearly not ready to discuss still cameras yet and I know how annoying it can be when someone else pushes their favorite piece of kit when one is not yet in a buying mood. When you are ready I will be glad to bore you rigid, unfortunately I do not have any experience of the 5D3

14. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Thanks Roger. I'm at least a year off seriously considering any significant purchase and I was saying the same thing this time last year so who knows when it will actually transpire! :)

i think I need to wander off and see if there are any videography/filmmaking forums worth loitering in.

15. mikeh201355

mikeh201355 Well-Known Member

There is video on youtube by Dave Dugdale explaining why he has ditched his 5D3 for video in favour of the Panasonic GH4. If nothing else it may help crystallise some thoughts.

16. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Thanks for that, I've had a look. Dugdale seems to be blown away by the resolution of 4k but then that's not surprising. This issue with the GH4 is the additional cost of the added accessories not to mention the increased processing requirements which would mean I'd have to buy a new Mac.