1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Is there an embargo in this forum room?

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by Learning, Jul 31, 2020.

1. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Canon also have a mix of two different card types in their R5.

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I think the reason for using different card types is simpler than that, I don't think there is room in the body for two XQD/CFExpress cards but an SD card takes up very little space. So why not two SD cards, probably to keep faith with people who purchased the original Z6/Z7 cameras, they can still use their XQD cards and add SD cards if they want. The D4 used a CF card slot alongside the XQD slot allowing D3 users to migrate without the need for an XQD card, I did it that way, but the option to use XQD was there.

It is possible that Nikon want users of SLRs that use SD cards to feel they can move to the Z series just as easily, have you seen the price of the cheapest CFExpress card?

3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

If you are spending two or three grand on a new camera then skimping on new cards is just spoiling the new ship for a ha'p'orth of tar.
    I see no advantage in the new offerings to what I have at present. I will change if Nikon offers something better within my photographic lifetime, but they'd better get on with it if they want my custom.

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

If you have saved hard to afford a new camera the prospect of having to find another 10% for a couple of memory cards isn’t attractive. A 32GB XQD card costs about £100, buying two on top of £2,000 for the camera isn’t insignificant. The cheapest CFExpress card I could find was £149, the reader will add another £40. Worth also remembering that used Z6 and Z7 bodies will be appearing on the used market in greater numbers as those users who really want two card slots upgrade. The prospect of paying £200 for cards on top of £1,200 for a Z6 makes difference to the decision whether to purchase or not. As a comparison, a 64GB UHS-II SDXC is £27.

Memory cards are a bit more than "a ha'p'oth of tar" unfortunately.

5. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

^
    And it could well be that someone with a single-slot Z6 or Z7 has found that they don't actually need 2 slots as they've not had any issues with a single XQD card.... so they won't upgrade

6. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

As a likely buyer of the Z7II in a year or two, I’m delighted it has two different memory card slots, like my D800. I use the D800’s CF slot for my working card, and also get the camera to back up everything to the SD slot, where I alternate a pair of larger capacity cards. Having obviously different cards avoids confusion when one becomes full.

In addition to the improvements Andy mentioned, I hope the revised cameras have overcome the banding issues reported from the sensors when brightening extreme shadows. I also hope they’ve restored the two-button option to reformat the memory card I’m used to on my Nikon DSLRs, and that the newcomers remember settings such as exposure compensation when the battery is changed.

Unfortunately the Z7II retains the terminal on the side, where a connector and lead will interfere with the tripod clamp if a simple “L” bracket is used in portrait format. This problem doesn’t arise on my D800 with its 10-pin Connector on the front.

Chris

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

When I looked earlier MPB had 36 used Z6 bodies, suggests that some owners are already moving on. I wonder where to?

8. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

That seems a large stock level for a recent camera. Perhaps it is a case of buying the camera and finding they don't like it? The only logical move would be to a Z7 as an upgrade. I daresay many buyers moved from a Nikon DSLR, taking the option of the adaptor to use existing lenses, so a return to a DSLR would not be too painful. I must admit that I handled this camera and on that basis I can't claim that I liked it much, having a D610 already there wouldn't really be a lot to gain by changing, as it is I use my Fujifilm CSC more anyway.

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have said previously that the Z6/Z7 is too small for me, the new grip makes it a lot closer but I won't be buying a Z series for some time, if ever, the Z9 looks to be what I would want but the cost of switching from F to Z would be enormous, something like £20,000* and I didn't spend that on my car.

*There is no secondhand market for any of the lenses yet and, obviously, the Z9 doesn't yet exist.

10. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Indeed. Many buyers are apart from the kit zoom using their older lenses with the adaptor, indeed MPB have over 40 FTZ adaptors showing, which tends to bear my assumptions out. The Z series lenses are also on the whole rather pricey. I certainly won't be jumping let's say.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

My thoughts on the FTZ adaptor are mixed, a great idea, spoiled by the inclusion of a completely unnecessary tripod adaptor that, by the look of it, will foul on the optional grip of the Z6/Z7 and the built in grip on the Z9. It needs a redesign, possibly incorporating a focus motor for AF/AF-D lenses.