1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Is there an embargo in this forum room?

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by Learning, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Is it not permitted to mention any camera unless it is at least two years old? It seems that the Nikon Z5 is as much as a secret here as it is in Nikon marketing.:confused:

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Oh, that! I am sure it is a very capable camera but some how I don't think it was ever going to attract the same level of attention as its big brothers. That it probably represents the bread and butter product for Nikon it possibly deserves more.

3. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

It's a cut down version of the Z6/Z7 isn't it?

I had a play with the Z7 when they came out and it just didn't feel right in the hands. As you know I've got the D800, sold the D3 and have a couple of D90's and lots of Nikon lenses (Holy Trinity inc) but I prefer the Fuji X-T2 (or T3) as for me it feels comfortable to use.

The Z'ds just don't feel comfortable to walk around and shoot with which is a crying shame as I'd love to use my Nikon glass with a lighter camera.

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

My problem with the Z series is that it is too small. I find the D3 or D4, and thus by implication the D5 and D6, to be the right size. If I could have them a couple of hundred grammes lighter that would be great but as I would then add one of the trinity to the front I suppose it really doesn't matter, for now.

5. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Some Forum members still get excited about new cameras, but then reality interferes and they doubt the benefit of rushing out to buy the latest model. However, I always encourage the purchase of new kit by those who want it, because this is what helps keep the secondhand market stocked with decent hardware from part-exchanges.

Or perhaps the members are waiting for the Z5 'mark 2' with all the initial bugs and design faults fixed, on sale at a lower price.

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

You don't think that sounds cynical?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  7. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Well then.... one of the issues with many camera launches is that the announcement is typically weeks, or months, before they are available in the shops.
    I'm also sure that I am not alone in wanting to physically see and hold a new camera before buying one - not that I am currently in the market for a new camera - but the covid-19 situation has made things very difficult. If I'd been looking for a new camera somewhat earlier in the year, I'd have had a good "play" at The Photography Show, but of course that got cancelled.

I'm sure that I'm also not the only one who has lost a lot of enthusiasm for finding out about new cameras, even if there is no intention to buy one, because of the inability to see-touch for real

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I could have handled any camera that was in stock at SRS a few weeks back but I have had my "new" camera for the year and, unless a low shutter count D5 were to magically appear for under £2,000, for some years to come.

9. Chester AP

It's something that happens regularly, although sometimes the model number is changed to make it less obvious to the less cynical.
    I believe a degree of cynicism is healthy when looking at something that costs hundreds or thousands of pounds and may already be 'obsolete' because an 'improved' version will be released very soon. Perhaps you would prefer 'detailed research and careful evaluation of my needs' to 'cynicism', but the outcome should be the same. As always, these are personal opinions and not to be confused in haste with facts.

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The Z5 hasn't even hit the shops yet! Yes everything we by is obsolescent before we get our hands on it. I well remember working on software to be used on the Boeing 787, the computer it was going to run on has Windows XP installed. Almost every processor on the aircraft was obsolete and we hadn't had our first one delivered at that stage. However, everybody was working very hard to get the bugs ironed out.

11. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

Given your initial post, I’m not sure whether you’re interested in comments about the camera as such, but here goes anyway.

It looks as though it will be pretty good value once it’s price drops from that at launch. I’d appreciate keeping twin card slots, like my D800, but regret not having a top-plate LCD. However, given the investment in lenses that will inevitably follow if/when I change mount, I wouldn’t want to choose a camera with an inferior sensor, and that of the Z5 is a generation behind the Z6. Personally, I wouldn’t want to lose resolution compared to my current D800, so if switching to mirrorless now, I’d go for the Z7. But I have a nasty suspicion that the extra costs of making the Z7 compared to the Z5 are far smaller than the difference in the selling prices will be once the Z5 is established.

Chris

12. Chester AP

I suspect there is far more incentive to get all the 'bugs' fixed in the IT on a Boeing 787 than there is on a new Nikon Z5. The worst case scenario for the Z5 is that is doesn't work, whereas for a modern aircraft it is probably 'buying the farm' (I've recently re-read Chuck Yeager's biography).

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

If the software on a modern aircraft has bugs such that it doesn't work, we call that Fail Safe, if it doesn't work you can't start the engines/move the controls and you aren't going anywhere! Worst case is that it works just fine, except at some rather extreme part of the flight envelope where it says, I quit! That kind of bug is very hard, and expensive, to find.

14. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That’s not including the “bug” that’s been the cause of a couple of crashes because the pilots have been caught out? I can’t remember the (newish) plane it affects.

15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I think you will find that the aircraft is the 737 Max and any designer who thinks it is a good idea to base a flight critical system on a single sensor shouldn't be allowed out on his/her own.

16. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That's the one. I was talking to a friend of my son who is a pilot. Yes he has flown them and no they weren't warned about the potential problem.

17. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The only reason that aircraft was certificated with that system was that Boeing claimed it was only an update of the original design, the original 737 was certificated in 1968, the whole system has changed significantly since then. Had the FAA carried out the process treating the Max as a new aeroplane it wouldn't have left the ground until the system was modified.