1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a need to buy a new desktop PC ?

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by Mark101, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

I'm still running my HP 2009 Intel 2 quad core 2.33 Mhz 8 mb RAM 1 TB HDD desktop bought in 2009 but running Windows 10 very nicely and have a 24 in HDMI Screen

I have a decent i5 laptop, but I'm getting a little worried about the age of my desktop which I upgraded to 8 mb of RAM and windows 10 some time ago. Okay, my photos are on both the desktop and an external HDD, but I'm seeking advice on if I should upgrade or stick with this machine a while longer?

I clean the interior out every 6 months to reduce the obvious problems and remove the junk files every couple of months. and it all runs well, never seems to crash or develop problems, apart from being a little slow dealing with some aspects of Photoshop.

One idea I'm running with at the moment it to just install a new HDD, perhaps a SSD and get a larger screen, but perhaps I'd be better off with a new i5/ i7 running a higher clock speed for Photoshop. Opinions on a postcard please?

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The best advice I can give is: don't fix what ain't broke. I'm still running a 2006 MacBook Pro. It works fine for the jobs I use it on. Change your computer only when it breaks or won't do what you want doing.

Roger Hicks and Catriona like this.
  3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Can't really argue with that. Upgrade first, then replace only if you can't upgrade to meet your needs.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

If it's running win 10 OK I'd be inclined to leave it until it reaches the point you are seriously fed up or it breaks. I don't know enough about the hardware but you probably have to upgrade the motherboard to suit a new processor, then the power supply then ..... . Photoshop performance is probably most affected by the video card and its on-board memory. I suspect my imac is a bit slow with LR because it doesn't meet the spec on Vram. I'd consider the monitor as something separate to the computer.

5. Knotty

Knotty In the Stop Bath

Upping the ram would be worthwhile. SSD is pretty pointless unless you load the operating system on it and ideally work on photos which are also on the ssd, even if only temporary. Intel 2 quad is quite a hot running cpu and heat is your enemy.
    PC components are designed with a working life of 6 years so you're getting into failure territory.
    Check the tops of the capacitors on your motherboard if any of them are bulging you're on borrowed time.
    With the possible exception of extra ram I agree with the other guys, run it until it pops. Just back up regularly. Almost every customer I visit with a dead or dying hard drive was going to back up next weekend.
    You can use a usb stick as extra ram which is easy and will certainly help.
    Put the usb stick in, find the usb stick in explorer, right click on it, select ready boost from the drop down and tell it to use the whole usb capacity. Win 10 will then use the usb capacity as ram.
    Brian

6. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

If the current pc is working fine and the speed is not an issue, I would keep it going until it dies.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  7. Mark101

Thanks everyone.

Well that's saved me £1 k for the time being. Heat and dirt I've always seen as an issue, hence the regular internal cleaning I put the machine through, taking great care with static and a gentle touch. Looking at the board Brian I can't see any of the issues evident regarding the board and from sight everything looks fine at the moment.

The graphic card is a Geforce 9500 GS with the HDMI screen running at 1080 x 1920 which seems okay for most of my work. I did have the impression that above 8 meg of RAM for my casual LR/PS work I'd not see much improvement.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  8. Knotty

Knotty In the Stop Bath

Your graphics card has its own ram which lightens the load on your 8 gig because its not getting called on as much. Its borderline whether increasing the internal ram is worth it.
    Shoving a 32gig usb stick in one of the rear ports and allocating it as ready boost is another kettle of fish. Its cheap, easy and you will see a difference. Just for info you can do the same on most laptops with an sdcard.
    Brian
    Read more at http://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...-a-new-desktop-pc.138579/#P8liLClp3TfioCJr.99

9. Mark101

Thanks, did think about that some time ago, but never picked up on the thought again.

Knotty likes this.
  10. Mark101

Knotty likes this.
  11. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

12. Knotty

Knotty In the Stop Bath

Microsoft recommend it and mine has been doing sterling service for 3 years. Just make sure its in one of the motherboard ports not an extended one at the front of the case. Its not as good as the equivalent gb ram but its well worth doing. I've been doing this for customers since win 7 was introduced. Trust me Pete it works well.
    Brian