1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Is the sensor is the most important factor?

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by idreamedof, Apr 27, 2011.

1. idreamedof

idreamedof Active Member

Benchista and El_Sid have made a point about big improvements in zooms since the 70s. I'm not really in a position to comment, as I haven't owned any of the recent well-reviewed lenses. But none of the inexpensive Nikkor or Minolta autofocus zooms I've owned were as good as my Minolta MD Rokkor 50-135mm and I was recently very lucky to pick up a copy on ebay, which someone had already converted to the Sony/Minolta AF mount. (Nothing is ever simple on ebay, and this lens didn't focus on infinity at the 50mm end, but I took off the mount and ground away a little bit of it on wet and dry paper which did the trick!) At f5.6 it's easily the equal of my 50mm on 10Mp.
    The big problem with manual focus lenses, however, is that the screens on digital cameras are designed for viewing, not focusing and I really need to get a high quality autofocus zoom for general use – and do I get a higher resolution body to go with it? I'm just not confident that I'll be happy having spent all that money, if the image quality turns out to be no better than what I get at the moment.