1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is smaller necessarily better?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GeoffR, May 30, 2021.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Sorry that should read “having Bluetooth on but unconnected runs the battery down” a bit like being in a no signal area which also shortens the battery charge life on some phones.

AndyTake2 likes this.
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Yes, if my phone shows no signal it can go flat in 2 hours. It can also last three to four days. Can’t predict the battery life at all.

GeoffR likes this.
  3. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

By "developed world" I meant have easy access to a power source to connect a charger, be it home electricity supply or car cigarette lighter socket. I had the last 7 days of work and charged my phone once in that time and it really wasn't an inconvenience to do.

4. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

It seems to me that all smartphones do is enable the rat race...

5. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

You can hardly blame smart phones for the rat race. That starting gun was fired a very, very long time ago.

6. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what you mean by "rat race". There's lots of features on a smartphone, but you don't have to use any of them. If you just want to just call & text then it's entirely possible on a smartphone, but it's also possible to get an old school mobile phone that just does that. Like all tech, they only rule your life if you let them. I have WhatsApp, but purely for the farm group and my skittles team group.

There's many useful apps. I use my smartphone as a sat nav, which unlike a stand alone device is always up to date. I have access to all the Ordnance Survey maps, which is great for creating a record of my transects when butterfly hunting. I can check tide times when fishing and weather forecasts. I can also use it to find pubs and restaurants wherever I am. If that's the "rat race" I'm all for it.

Gezza and dream_police like this.
  7. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

We regularly get posts from new members asking 'what kind of camera is best' (or similar), and one of the questions I usually ask is 'what size fits your hands best?' (or similar). Or to put it another way, 'how big are your hands?' or 'will it have to fit in a small pocket?'.
    The TV and hi-fi industry learned years ago that if a remote control is small enough to lose in the crevices of a sofa, it very soon will be.

8. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I use my mine for calls, text, e mail, WWW, some apps, a camera. a radio etc. I use it with wireless earbuds when travelling. I use it in the car via Apple car play, streaming music or radio to the stereo. The stereo screen also displays my phone's navigation, be it Apple, Google or Waze.
    I wouldn't like to go back to a basic phone.

Mine isn't a huge one, but is fairly big and holding it just now, I can't see how hand size makes much of a difference, certainly with the way I hold it. It more or less rests on my hand and supported by a finger. Not really a full handed grip.

My mum has arthritis and she manages to hold her iPhone just fine too.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
  9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Strongly advise rethink before @MJB or @gray1720 see this and snigger.

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Unless you own, or are contemplating, a recent Apple MacBook you may not realise what they have been up to. The mother board in a MacBook Pro is very small and the RAM and SSD are chips soldered to it. Want to upgrade it, buy a new one! Changing either is practically impossible. Small in this case is definitely not better. I’d much rather have a slightly thicker case with replaceable RAM and SSD, even if it were more expensive in the first place.

I suspect that the new iPad Pro contains a very similar motherboard to the M1 MacBook Pro, or Air, the specifications are similar.

A recent incident demonstrates that thinner devices are a risk, a phone slipped down the side of a passenger seat on a 787 and was crushed. An old Nokia wouldn’t have fitted through the gap. It was an iPhone by the way. My iPad is no thicker than my phone so it too could get inside a seat (bigger battery). How small is “too small”?

11. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

At least he didn't say his mum could hold it just fine too!

AndyTake2, Zou and dream_police like this.
  12. dream_police

Bloody hell. Next time I go on holiday I’ll buy an old Nokia from E Bay. I should really have kept my old phones.

13. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Back in my university days, we had rat race exams - 120 students, with a clipboard with an exam paper with 120 multi choice questions, were shown into a room with 120 anatomical specimens. Each of us stood beside a specimen, a bell rang, and we had 1 minute to answer the question related to the specimen. The bell rang again, and we moved to the next specimen. 2 hours later, we were let out...

14. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

You could just forsake business or first class.

15. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I resemble that!

16. dream_police

Does extra legroom seats on Ryanair count?:)

17. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

If no students were eaten by other students then it does not sound like a fully fledged rat race exam.:)

John Farrell likes this.
  18. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

No idea, I didn’t realise you got a seat:D

dream_police likes this.
  19. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Better to avoid Apple like the plague.

Zou likes this.
  20. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Until you consider the alternative.