1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is smaller necessarily better?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GeoffR, May 30, 2021.

1. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

You can. Google 'mobile phone no camera no internet'. The first hit was a nokia which the amazon listing claims has a battery life of weeks. Whether you can get one to NZ is another question.

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I was once told that the first sign of age related mental degredation is wanting everything to stop changing... :confused:

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

When we first had Office 365 at work I really disliked the presentation, too many things hidden in the ribbon that used to be easy to find, since getting a newer version (I was using 2008!) it seems to be much improved, seems to have changed back to something recognisable from the pre-365 version. I very much doubt it is older users driving the "change".

4. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Mine is a 2017 Samsung A5 which is perfectly OK apart from the sheer volume of proprietary crap loaded by Samsung which you can neither delete or disable. It was bought it second hand (or poss. B stock) in 2017 for approx half the launch price 6 months after the launch date. I expect to have to replace it in the next year or so due to upgrades not being available. I do not do anything clever on the phone so do not need a high spec. I would not consider an Apple simply because I expect to be able to buy and insert an affordable large capacity memory card rather than buy cloud storage and streaming capacity - or pay way over the odds for built in storage.

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I don’t think so. It is observing the reinvention of the wheel. “We did that 20 years ago” - sadly I find myself doing that now.

6. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I'm struggling to understand why a 3 week battery life would be an essential requirement for anyone living in the developed world?

7. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

John's in New Zealand, remember.

S

retrofit, dream_police and Zou like this.
  8. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I'm sure they'll join the developed world soon... :p

ascu75 likes this.
  9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that it is essential but if one rarely makes calls it increases the possibility that, when one wishes to do so, the battery will be flat. I would be happy with a battery life of three days and I rarely make calls.

10. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I mainly use my mobile phone for calls & texts (old fashioned I know). I only turn WiFi & Mobile Data on as and when I need it. I go well over a week between battery charge.

11. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Even using my phone to listen to the radio at work, via a Bluetooth speaker, and calls/text/WhatsApp and a bit of social media etc, I can get 2 days out of a full charge on my Huawei phone.

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

It is using Bluetooth that runs the battery down, if you don't use it the battery life is extended.

13. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I use my phone when I’m in respite care. I use it as a camera and as a video call my family. I FaceTime my son in Qatar and text etc. My phone is an Apple 4 released in 2010 and ex at least four family members I just checked eBay and I can buy another one for £21.99. Apart from using it when in respite I never take it out of the drawer.

14. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

IIRC Nokia responded to a request from security services to create a phone which was more difficult to hack, so they obliged with a no-internet, no camera machine - not sure if this is the same one, but it is a good idea, and should be mandatory in secure settings. Having it simple enough for those who don't want or require internet, email or camera is a bonus.

15. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Convenience. And if by "developed world" you mean rat race, I want no part of it.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  16. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Only reason I use Nikon as opposed to Canon is when I tried them out in the shop Nikon fitted my hand better than Canon

Catriona likes this.
  17. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Only reason I use Canon as opposed to Nikon is when I tried them out in the shop Canon fitted my hand better than Nikon

18. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

When I first went to a pub I discovered a pint fitted my hand so much better than a half….

19. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Same here

20. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

It still fitted ok yesterday