1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Photoshop Cheating ?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by albini13, Sep 26, 2002.

1. albini13

albini13 Well-Known Member

I`ve been an avid user of Photoshop for a while now but i`ve only recently started to use it to improve photographs via a neg scanner. When using photoshop to improve a print do you feel that you are in some way cheating ? Or do you see it as an extension of the traditional darkroom skills ? I choose the word "improve" carefully. I`m not talking about a full alteration just slight touching up. What are your opinions ?

2. dogbyte

dogbyte In the Stop Bath

When I first started using Photoshop I disregarded the photo-taking part of the process in the mistaken belief that I could correct any problems afterwards. Wrong. I now concentrate more than ever on getting the image right in the first place. I don't regard using PS as cheating but I only Level and USM really. I've no time for inserting a sky from a different image and that sort of thing, which I do regard as not quite cricket.

Pete IRIPN

3. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

To me Photoshop/PhotoPaint/PSP/Elements along with all the other image manipulation programs are just an extension of the wet darkroom, no more and no less...

Of course I can now work in colour instead of just b/w and I don't get high on fumes :)

Chris [​IMG] I'm still a great believer in sticking as close as possible to the original...

4. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Precisely! That, to me, is what photography is all about. As the great St Ansel said - "the negative is the musical score, and the print is the performance". One day I wish to achieve the ultimate - take on film, manipulate in Photoshop, print out as a negative, and toddle off to the darkroom. Full circle! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

PS Which Jessops to you work in?

Clive from Staffordshire

<font color=red>Clive ....... <font color=black> [​IMG]

5. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

I use photoshop to enhance my pics and to correct the colour balance after scanning my prints. May sometimes play with the effects but not often.

Ive been in the darkroom and what fun :)

6. Burgy

Burgy In the Stop Bath

No more so than colour correction, or doding and burning whilst printing, all my images ever get are cropped, auto levels (levels corrected if the auto levels gets it wrong) and USM, occasionally contrast gets tweaked, and occassionally selected areas are tweaked in a variety of ways. Somestimes (the Cad) I change colour images into black and white (but then my Dig camera doesnt have a black and white(or sepia, or for that matter anyother imaging modes)

Burgy

Burgy

Its not what you've got, its who you do it to. http://www.pressfotos.co.uk

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I agree with just about everything that everyone has said, except that I don't see inserting a different sky as cheating (although I've only ever done it once, and then only as an exercise to see how easy it was!) - but then I just see it as an easier way of alternative techniques in the darkroom (people have been inserting different skies for years, but they had to be decent printers before!). And I've personally got nothing against removing lampposts, power cables etc - where I do have a problem is passing off such an altered image as reality.

Nick BSRIPN

8. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

I think that removing power lines, rubbish etc is part of the 'creative' side of photography. I like to remove skin blemishes on portraits - but I regard this part of photography as part of the 'artistic' process - and I don't have any qualms on the reality front.

9. dogbyte

dogbyte In the Stop Bath

I was really referring to a wholesale change of sky when I gave that example. I've no problem with making it a bit more contrasty and interesting - rather like you might do routinely in black and white at the snapping stage with the appropriate filter. And yes, power lines, bits of litter you didn't notice, peoples complexions where you're doing them a favour.

Pete IRIPN

10. sinister

sinister Well-Known Member

I agree with the comments above. I have used various Digi Dark room tools, from the simple ULead or MS photoediting tools to PS 7.

At the end of the day it is using your creative talents to improve, change or correct an image to something you and those who look at them enjoy. And yes I have removed the odd lampost , trafic cone, power line etc from some of my shots. Twiked with USM, changed the britness, put in in fill lighting, Still cant get a decent image thou /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

<font color=green>Steve</font color=green>
    http://www.aspects.net/~sthompson

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Pete, I know you were, and so was I. People have been masking off prints to put in alternative skies for years. In so far as the result is aesthetically pleasing, I have no problem with that. My point about reality relates more to changing the sky for advertising purposes, or altering news pics etc.

Nick BSRIPN

12. mikeh

mikeh Well-Known Member

I agree with everyone here...but my wife doesn't! She believes that a photo should represent what was there at the time the photo was actually taken, and shouldn't be manipulated. Having said that, she is an excellent artist, and paints wonderful interpretations of what she sees!! As you can imagine, we do have long discussions on this apparent (to me!!) contradiction. But at the end of the day (like the argument re digital vs film) its each to his (or her) own.

Mike

13. sinister

Right I am now walking around my Digital Darkroom / Office at home with a lot of egg on the face. Got some Fuji transparancies back from the labs. And decided to scan some up for the web site. (Gareth I will complete your version of the database) So into PS7 with a bit of cloning here to get rid of a cable, bit of USM there, brightness here and contrast there. Hey presto place em on the site. Then look'd at the results this morning,,,,,,,,erh....... Horid. One shot overcooked by USM that the image had a halo a round it. Now it was not the Madona with the big boobies. I mean that would have looked great, no a Windmill. Now as far as I know windmills do not have supernatural powers. So back to scaning. Actual ended up changing the slide all together and did very little to the final image.

SO the moral of this children is to much fidling can ruin what the camera already decided was the correct focus and the light meter thought would be the correct exposure.

14. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Steve - I haven't looked at the gallery, yet. Will later. But please - what is USM?????????

15. Larry Shone

Re: Is Photoshop Cheating ?/not if the sky is crappy!

i recently scanned in a photo that originally had a nice blue sky contrasting with the golden colour of the farm buliding but when scanned in the blue became washed out so I used a blue fill to get the sky back:
    [​IMG]

If only I had a darkroom

16. Larry Shone

dont you sometimes have to overcook the USM for printing?

If only I had a darkroom

17. Larry Shone

UnSharp Masking
    A technique for making a pic appear sharper than it is by doing away with similar pixels in a pic which create a fuzzy impression. Also a darkroom technique where two slides/negs are sandwiched but dont know about that one!

If only I had a darkroom

18. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Ah....should have guessed! Thanks Steve - I hadn't seen it referred to as USM before, though I use it very frequently!

19. Larry Shone

err,didnt know I'd changed my name Fred /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

Nature is the embodiment of a dark,secret, rising from the yearning for permanence and eternity.

20. sinister

Re: Is Photoshop Cheating ?/not if the sky is crappy!

Sory Larry, but it looks false, but the building is nice and sharpe.