1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it time to scrap the Olympic Games?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 0lybacker, Aug 4, 2016.

1. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Doping, organisational incompetence and corruption, professionalism v. amateurism, impoverishment, alternative world championships and other 'negatives' - should the Olympic Games now be scrapped?

Zou likes this.
  2. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Dont be silly man!

3. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Yes please.

S

ps where does all the money come from to pay for it all?

Andrew Flannigan and Catriona like this.
  4. 0lybacker

I'm serious! I'd scrap them as far as professional sports with world championships are concerned.

5. 0lybacker

Where all money comes from: the taxpayer.

6. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

No, but it's time to look again at the influence of LA in 1984 and re-evaluate.

7. Lost_In_France

Lost_In_France Well-Known Member

Long overdue for scrapping. As well as reasons in Olybacker's original post, the costs of hosting the games, particularly in poor countries that can ill afford them, is astronomical. Plus there is virtually no legacy left behind either in terms of the use of venues or in greater participation in sports by younger people.

davecamerator and Zou like this.
  8. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Have any of them actually made a loss? London did very well out of it. But point about the facilities and overall effect seems accurate if you look at Athens and Beijing.

9. RovingMike

Initially perhaps, but ultimately from advertisers and sponsors.

10. RovingMike

Since they only reflect what goes on in daily life, I guess you'd have to scrap everything.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

London hotels didn't do so well - many of the major international clients put a freeze on business travel to Olympic cities due to increased costs (or perception thereof). The London hotel in the group I worked for was struggling to sell rooms even at lower than usual rates, let alone at any imagined premium.

12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Yes please. Preferably before the inevitable stream of posts cooing with unintended irony about how the Olympics are better/purer/less '.....' than professional football etc.

13. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

I think they should just allow use of PEDs and get on with it.

14. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Well West Ham united did well out of it anyway.

15. IvorCamera

IvorCamera In the Stop Bath

West Ham................yes the owners did very well out of it!

16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Funnily enough the Tory supporting owners of the club made a donation to the party not long before the decision was made by (if I'm not mistaken) a senior Tory.

Needless to say the world is full of coincidences.

17. IvorCamera

IvorCamera In the Stop Bath

I did not know that, but it would make no difference if I did, David Gold and David Sullivan are very good at what they do.....they done wonders at Birmingham City FC, then they run out of interest......

18. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Funnily enough the Tory supporting owners of the club made a donation to the party not long beforethe decision was made by (if I'm not mistaken) a senior Tory.

What on earth are you trying to say
    :)

19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Are you suggesting I was insinuating something untoward by a bunch of folk who'd gladly sacrifice anyone/thing in pursuit of their own interests? Can't imagine how you came to that conclusion...

Off-topic but relevant to current tone, check out "Burnistoun sarcasmaholics anonymous" on YouTube. :)

20. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Next thing you will be questioning Karen Brady's cbe