1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it legal?

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by patrington1a, Feb 28, 2015.

1. patrington1a

patrington1a Well-Known Member

If i download something like pics art or paper artist or photostudio and put one of my photographs in one of their templates or use one of their frames etc for a competition.is it legal or do i have to get their permission.
    Cheers.
    Peter

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

What are their terms and conditions ? If these are templates for end-use there will be some conditions, maybe even a price !

3. patrington1a

Not read t&cs, who does, lots of legal jargon, loaded up pics art, put my pic on it, converted it to b&w then put it in one of their frames.fancy entering it into a competition simply to win a prize worth a tenner......competition is uk based......should i take a chance..

4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

...and if you win what happens to your photo...does it become someone else's property?

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Read the T&C. Your answer will be there.

6. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Don't know if personal use means you are allowed to use it in the way you suggest?

7. mark 1

mark 1 Well-Known Member

Without reading the teams and conditions of the download or copy you don't even know if your breaching the rules. lets say you win the comp with your image. Then the owner of the background comes forward and says the terms were for person use only and not for profit. you broke the terms. what next ?. Possible court. unlikely but it depends on who owns the image you used. Some downloads just want a mention and some state not for profit. was it a down load or did you just copy and paste. ?

It may even breach the comp rules if it states must be all your own work.

8. NosamLuap

NosamLuap Rebmem Roines

Many photo comps have a bad reputation for being 'rights grabs', where the terms and conditions grant the competition owner the right to sell/license/use any entries, even if the entry didn't win - i.e. it's just a way for them to get access to images they can use for the low price of the prize - which is significantly lower than going through a stock agency to license that many images.

You REALLY should read the T&Cs :)

9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Two separate issues.
    One on the strict legality of using the template. The supplier of the template has made it available for your use so you can use it up to a point but only within their terms and conditions.
    The second point is not strictly legality, although winning a competition through fraud might be. Do the competition rules allow you to use third party templates provided the third party allows you to do so.

10. patrington1a

Thank for the replys guys.......just had a thought,,,,photoshop, cs6 etc we use those to improve our photographs isnt that the same as using paper artist or one of the other apps.
    If i use photoshop,make my photo look like a swirl then enter it in a comp and win say a tenner can photoshop sue me,after all most of us use photoshop.

11. mark 1

mark 1 Well-Known Member

You buy photoshop