1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it just me

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by willie45, May 1, 2018.

1. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Or is this forum really tedious at the moment?

Not the honourable members, of course, but it seems less than interesting.

If so, why?

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

We could ask Nige to do a canter round the forums. ;)

3. willie45

Maybe he could give us one of his shoes for good luck :)

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Perhaps many people are too afraid of causing offence by being un-PC.

5. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Roger's computer died.....

6. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Not into PUFs then Willie?

7. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Is your name Brian?

There are too few regular members is part of the problem.

8. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I am regular. The porridge and granola see to that, not to mention the beans.

9. willie45

I found the urban dictionary helpful in this instance. :)

10. willie45

That is a major part of the problem and of the regular 16 or so, 12 all have the same views. It ends up most people just whooping each other on which is very tedious. I don't exclude myself from that category.

11. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

Are we talking about left wing views vs right wing views?

12. willie45

Not really. There's a forum orthodoxy, though, that I find tedious. I don't necessarily disagree with the orthodox views on here but it's a bit boring just egging each other on. You know the sort of thing. Someone posts a view and then everyone joins in, each one trying to agree more than the next. I sometimes consider joining under another name and posting stuff for a laugh, and then I remember it's trolling and even more irritating. Plus I can't be bothered

PS I'm not knocking the people who share these orthodox views. I'm one of them. Just wish we had some more alternative posts.

retrofit likes this.
  13. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

You wouldn't be the first ;)

willie45 likes this.
  14. willie45

I suspect you might be right :)

15. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

I think @Learning has a tough time on here :D

16. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Thinking about the thread that someone posted on the other day started in 2013. There was a few members on there but are no longer on here. How did they manage to escape.

17. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I once tried doing that quite a few years ago. There was one poster who was really getting on my tits (no longer here) so I created another account that had a play on his username. I got an email from someone to do with the forum, telling me that whilst he agreed with me, and was quite funny, I really wasn't allowed to have 2 usernames. My problem was I created it at home and my IP's matched!

18. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I really must disagree, Willie... ;)

willie45 likes this.
  19. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I don't have strong views on anything. I just watch, listen, learn, titter, get mildly annoyed, have a glass of wine and maybe contribute my view, which is usually pragmatic.

Then I go and take some pictures... Willie45!

Much easier to find me animated on FB, but I actually know a lot on there - and they know me, so we can josh each other! On here, 'joshing' tends to be taken the wrong way by some and it all gets very complicated.

Actually, when I moved from London to come here, the thing I missed most was a good discussion/argument/tease on some subject or other. I found that people tended to take me seriously here on the Island! Apart from one guy, who recognized wit - and so Council office life was tolerable, sometimes at least.

20. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Cripes, I think we have seen too much of the opposite; people disagreeing and unable to disagree in a reasonable manner and turning to personal abuse. Maybe I have to take a certain member off Ignore, just to entertain people?

Last edited: May 2, 2018