1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Elements 2020 that much better than PSE 13?

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by Rupert49, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Rupert49

Rupert49 Well-Known Member

Tomorrow I'm having a techie friend upgrade my Windows OS from 8.1 to 10. He's also installing Office 365 for me at the same time.

I shall need to locate and download drivers for my printers and scanner. I'll also need to reinstall my PSE 13. Before I do the latter, I see that there have been several updates since PSE 13, so I was wondering if there's any good reason to buy the latest PSE 2020 version, as I'm bringing everything else up to date?

I've used Elements in various iterations for years now, I like what it does and I'm very familiar with the tools that I routinely use. I always process raw files first, finishing off in the editor before saving. I've hardly looked at the video editing suite, but I might give that a go in due course.

Is anyone able to outline in simple terms the principal differences (improvements and/or advantages) between PSE 13 and PSE 2020, please?

2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I tried Elements 2020.

Unfortunately, it insists you have an Adobe account and be logged into it to use it.

Not for me.

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Is there anything on the new version that isn't on the old you feel that you need? That is perhaps the best way to decide. I still use version 14 and don't feel any inclination to buy a new incarnation. 14 had some advantages over my previous edition when I made the move.

4. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I'm still using version 9 or 10. I only really use it to resize, clone out the odd distraction and create panoramas.

5. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Just like beatnik69 I still use Elements 9. I often see the latest Elements at the Camera Club on other members computers. I get the impression that the later editions mainly give more automatic one click editing functions geared towards those who want quick results rather than the more 'do it yourself' methods.

6. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

There was one version introduced shake reduction, which is useful on occasions. I have been scanning quite a lot of material from thirty plus years ago, those taken on the Mamiya 645 are generally fine but some 35mm benefits from it. Despeckling on the scanned items is also quite useful

7. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I have PSE 11 on my laptop and it's enough for most of my processing. Anything more complex (and later raw processing)I use the Adobe CC

8. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I use PSE 11 too, with Camera Raw* for the rare occasions I need to go to a raw file.

* according to Adobe, "Adobe Lightroom is built upon the same powerful raw image processing technology that powers Adobe Camera Raw."

9. Rupert49

Rupert49 Well-Known Member

Thanks everybody for all your replies.

Now that my techie friend has been round and installed all the new stuff for me, it seems that my PSE13 remains untouched and unchanged, so I'll carry on using that for the time being. If it ain't broke .. and all that. On a point of interest, my printers and scanner all work as before too, without having to update the drivers from 8.1 to 10. At least they're free downloads for if I encounter glitches in the future.

10. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The problem I had with W10 was that every time it updated I found that my Canon printer drivers had been removed. This along with a number of irritations led to me disabling updates. I now only use that machine offline so there isn't a security issue. I bought a used iMac which I greatly prefer.

11. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I'm using PE7 on a W10 PC and it works perfectly (loaded from the original 2009 disc).
    I've sometimes looked at the Adobe website to see all the wonderful 'enhancements', and what I notice is things that I can do 'manually' in two or three steps can now be done in one step (reducing colour fringes in high contrast areas of an image, for example). I don't do enough 'post processing' to make it worth buying a newer version of PE.

Note that once Adobe claim that a version of PE is no longer 'supported', all this means is that if you hit the 'help' icon when using the software you may get an Adobe help page from their website that is for the oldest version currently 'supported'. So I use PE7 and I get help pages for PE11, which does not concern me.

12. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I hate Adobe although I do use Elements 10 still and thankfully it still works.
    I got so sick of Adobe update messages (Reader, I guess) that I uninstalled it.
    Guess what happened to my pdf files? Disappeared.