1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Is cycling safe?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bazarchie, Jul 13, 2020.

1. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Does it not state that lights must be on at all times ( while it's dark ) ?
    The flashing lights are off 50% if the time .

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The law means absolutely nothing unless it can be enforced, we don't have enough police officers to catch a cold let alone deal with cyclists riding without lights. Darwin will catch them in the end!

3. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Now, if only you knew a photographer...;)

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Nice one! An advantage of using flashing in the daytime is the extended battery life. I was quite surprised to find many lights on sale only had a battery life of a couple of hours on continuous.

5. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

She wants a watercolour by an artist who likes to meet the dog and take her own pictures to work from. Initially I had suggested a studio photographer I enjoy the work of but she already knew exactly what she wanted.

I prefer to concentrate on the kind of shots I get on walks rather than anything posed or with lights.

neilt3 likes this.
  6. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

I much prefer the ones I take while walking the dogs myself than studio shots .

daft_biker likes this.
  7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Very rarely; there are a few places in Edinburgh where the cyclepath shares a pavement. As much as possible I cycle on designated cyclepaths and off-road. Since the c thing started there have been a lot more folk out on these paths. Some have a decent sense of those around, others don't.

Catriona likes this.
  8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Yes, it's easy. Most of the time I raise a hand if passing from behind, or smile and nod if in opposite direction. If I use the bell then always a thank you, and smile too if they turn as many do.

9. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Curtesy seems be a thing of the past, unfortunately.

Is it still the case that cyclists cannot use footpaths but can use bridleways?

10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

The law changed a few years back to allow flashing ones where previously steady was required.

neilt3 likes this.
  11. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

I'm still using the lights I got for my bike in the 1980's .
    They use two "D" size batteries in each and last a while .
    I tend to use rechargeable ones in them , but there not holding a charge very well now , do currently got some alkaline ones in them .
    I'm trying to find a decent LED replacement for the bulbs at the moment .
    They all seem too directional to work properly .

12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Depends where you live. ;)

Another good reason to live in Scotland!

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I think the law needs to be amended to require steady with flashing only acceptable in addition to steady.

14. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

A steady red light in the middle of the bike and yellow pedal lights is the best setup I've seen on a bike while driving at night; instantly recognisable as a cyclist and easy to judge distance from.

Zou likes this.
  15. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

Flashing or Steady, doesn't make much difference if the driver is pissed/drugged or playing with their phone (or all three). Sorry if the flashing lights annoy, but for my safety I feel it's better to have them flashing - I do however position them are in a neutral position and not pointing up to blind drivers.

16. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Or a playing card wedged in to the forks to create 'realistic engine sounds'.

17. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I have one of these on my bike: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-bike-balls-waterproof-taillight/dp/B01CKBD0NU in combination with a steady red. I'd tell you about the front light and reflectors but they are far less interesting (though the front light is good and bright - if I really, really need it it will shine like a car headlight, though the battery will only last about 30 mins if I do).

Scphoto likes this.
  18. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I only find them annoying away from traffic......there's no need for them in daylight on an abandoned railway line or in the woods. On the road I'd use them too.

Scphoto likes this.
  19. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

You clearly didn't understand what I said, I suggested that both steady and flashing lights should be used at night, flashing only during the day. A small steady red light could be almost anything but accompanied by a flashing red light it would be obvious what one was seeing.

20. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I'm not at all sure about that. On an unlit road a bicycle gives little context unless the rider is wearing some form of reflective clothing. Even a small motorcycle can be hard to pick up if the rider is wearing dark clothing. This page has some good sense on the subject: https://www.roadwise.co.uk/drivers/drivers-tips-advice/be-bright-be-seen/