1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Is cycling safe?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bazarchie, Jul 13, 2020.

1. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The highways department are the ones responsible for building/marking out all the cycle paths and filling in all the potholes so indeed they should know better. I've had closer passes but he should have given me more room. Like the videos show - when you have multi-lane ( it was 2 lane traffic where I was) and traffic in both, then there is more chance to get squeezed on the inside. I should have been further out in the lane but where I was passed there are potholes and I'd come in a bit toward the kerb to avoid them. Rule 2 - hold your line when riding 'cos if they think they can squeeze past they will.

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

One of my complaints about the Jaguar XF was that form was considered more important than function. As a result the bonnet sits too close to the engine for pedestrian safety and thus requires a "pedestrian protection system". The roof line is also low making it difficult to get into in a confined space, I could go on. Sufficient to say that I don't drive a Jaguar XF.

3. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

Yes, and in that first clip in the rain I had 3 front facing lights - one flashing, two static and a quite bright yellow jacket. I cycle with lights on all year round and run the rear lights (flashing) during the day. Hi-Viz doesn't really work. Ask the Police!

4. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Been chatting to the lady getting the money from the charity bikes and she is looking at getting me a shipping container to fill with bikes and tools. :)

DaveM399 likes this.
  5. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Flashing rear lights used in isolation are dangerous for cyclists. Just like the intermittent radar signal makes stealth aircraft difficult to track, flashing rear lights make tracking a moving cyclist difficult. These were the findings of the county coroner a few years back when a cyclist was killed locally.

6. PeteRob

Yes, I read that somewhere. For night time use a constant light is needed.

7. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Agreed. Flashing lights are really annoying too.

I can be happily wandering along the railway enjoying the scenery and then some flashing light starts drawing my eyes. Not so bad when there's bends but on a straight line they can be seen a long way.

8. PeteRob

Yes, that’s their utility as “see me” lights in daytime. We have a “Greenway” made from a disused railway line and a canalised section of the Dee. It is really good for people learning to ride a bike because they can do a 20 mile loop with no vehicles. “See me” lights aren’t needed, but people do use them. As long parts of it are more or less straight you can see the lights miles off, up to 5 miles for the very high intensity white ones, which is really annoying. You can also tell when sit-up-and-beg e-bikes are coming. These are getting quite popular and have “always on” high intensity continuous lighting driven off the bike battery.

9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Only always-on if the user switches them on. They are really handy though, as being powered by the main battery and fixed you're not going to forget them or suddenly realise you forgot to charge them.

10. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I still think warning bells or noise making instruments should be mandatory on bikes. If bikes are not to become even more of a hazard for pedestrians, these should be made essential.

MJB likes this.
  11. PeteRob

In law a bike should have a bell. Mine came without one, without also the legal requirement for a rear reflector or pedal reflectors.

In shared space or roads without pavement my preference is to slow down to the walker’s pace and call out that there is a bike behind and about to pass to left or right, then thank them as I pass. The pedestrian has priority. Most people react well to this. As a fairly deaf pedestrian I don’t like to hear a bicycle bell sound off right behind me, I can’t hear it far away, or riders who presume they can power through at speed.

Zou, Andrew Flannigan and Catriona like this.
  12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Aircraft are required to display flashing anti-collision beacons when taxiing or under tow on the ground and at all times in flight. They certainly work as far as a stationary observer is concerned but, during the hours of darkness steady red, green and white lights are also required. The latter are called navigation or position lights and aid an observer in determining the direction of flight. A flashing light,or lights, are not good for determining the direction of travel without continuous observation, several flashes. Adding a steady light makes the determination much quicker.

A cyclist displaying only flashing lights is at somewhat greater risk than one displaying both flashing and steady lights. It is also true that flashing lights are of little use for illuminating the road ahead.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  13. PeteRob

Absolutely but what an advance there has been in bike lighting! I can’t imagine now, how I used to ride nights on unlit roads with the old bike lights. I suppose they must have been 3v from the double cell producing this tiny pool of yellow light about a foot across. Now I use an 110o lumen light at 1/4 power (for battery life) and it is like a car headlight.

EightBitTony, Zou and daft_biker like this.
  14. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Not quite correct. It's law that a bike must be sold with a bell but not law that the new owner has to keep it in position. Forgive me if the law has changed since I last looked.

MickLL

Learning and Catriona like this.
  15. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

That's roughly what I try to do - I have a very loud bell, and it startles the hell out of people if I ring it close!

I did once almost collide with someone who had an airhorn on their handlebars - on a canal towpath, I was coming onto it from a path down the bank where the view of the towpath was masked by a bridge (big brick Victorian job), he was coming up and sounded his horn loudly to warn anyone coming down. Canal boats have horns... there is a lock immediately after the bridge... guess what I thought was coming! He wasn't very chuffed by being told that.

16. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I used to have a small bell on my mountain bike. Many times I sounded it only to be told ‘Don’t ring that bloody bell at me’ or words to that effect.
    Sometimes you just can’t win.

Zou likes this.
  17. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Some years ago, we are talking 40+ probably, a court case determined that a bell was not required, a cyclist could readily shout a warning of his/her presence and this was adequate. I doubt Google would be able to find the case and I haven't looked. However, neither bell nor shout would achieve what Kate, very sensibly, wants which is a continuous sound to aid in the detection of an approaching cyclist.

I would like it to be mandatory for bicycles to display a steady red light, attached to the vehicle, at the rear and a steady white light, also attached to the vehicle, at the front during the same hours as said lights are mandatory on a motor vehicle. Additionally a flashing red light at the rear and a flashing white light at the front at all times. If the flashing lights are attached to the rider they must NOT be worn on the head (because riders turn their heads and thus may end up displaying both to front and rear).

All lights, on any vehicle, should be subject to a maximum brightness, measured on axis at a distance of 1 metre.

I don't think anybody wants to injure another road user but to avoid that there have to be some rules and those relating to lights on bicycles are inadequate.

18. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I'd make 'spokey-dokes' mandatory.

AndyTake2 likes this.
  19. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I found that a shouted "good morning / good afternoon" and slowing to not much more than walking pace worked well. I certainly received far more smiles than scowls by doing that.

DaveM399, Learning and AndyTake2 like this.
  20. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

When Milton Keynes was built several decades ago now, city wide "Redways" were provided for pedestrians and cyclists. They're wider and take the place of pedestrian-only footpaths, and can be very scary to pedestrians when used by 150% confident teen cyclists. I feel very vulnerable in the 200m distance from home to the local shops because there's a slight slope, and cyclists' speeds on the downhill can be way above my safe collision speed! So, I take the car...