1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Is cycling safe?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bazarchie, Jul 13, 2020.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Something that our beloved politicians need to learn is that people don't obey laws because the want to but because they fear the consequences of not doing so, a gross generalisation but you get the idea. When you have no ability or even a vague prospect of enforcing a new law you might as well not waste time in enacting it. One such is parking law, if people don't get a ticked within hours of parking illegally they stop taking any notice of road markings.

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I nearly agree but occasionally, very occasionally, the minority are right.

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

That is true, in the way you have expressed it. As a general rule though, giving in to the wishes of a minority ends in tears.

4. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I am with you on this. SUVs are very popular but they attract a premium and even some car salesman admit other types of vehicles are better and cheaper. I don’t know your mother’s condition, but some small cars have a surprising amount of space.

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Indeed they do butthe doors need to be wide and many smaller cars don't have wide doors. She can get in her Skoda CitiGo but needs the driver's seat as high as it will go. My front passenger seat can be raised high enough too.

6. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

Is it safe? A few of my very sweary videos - don't click if you're easily offended.....

daft_biker likes this.
  7. Scphoto

And a bit of fun commuting in the snow...

ptermx and daft_biker like this.
  8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That’s an horrible commute. I can’t say that I’d be happy in that traffic. Are you able to get the police to follow up on head-cam footage? There was a discussion here that cams had to give a measure of scale, so forward cams mounted to show a wheel. Rear cam footage of a close pass (arguably the best way to judge) was ruled unacceptable because it just showed the car.

9. Scphoto

I've reported a fair amount to West Midlands police using the Nextbase portal (the dash cam people) - it's quick and easy to do. At the moment West-Midlands police aren't able to provide feedback due to the staffing levels, so I've no idea if or any action has taken place due to the reporting - but they get a lot at the moment. I had thought about a rear facing camera to help with the reporting, but not got round to it yet - at the moment I'm working from home, and probably will be for the foreseeable future so not doing much commuting at the moment. Even so, Birmingham and Solihull's drivers don't disappoint with their quality. I'm going to get a dashcam for the card at some point.

10. PeteRob

Lots to follow up there. I wondered about getting a cam. Last time I looked they were all pretty limited on battery life. I don’t commute and am out 3-6 hours mostly, longer in summer. Though I suppose it could be toggled on and off as it is only busy roads/commuter driving (brainless on auto) really.

11. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Thinking of cars and the powering of dash-cams etc, I suppose it's just too difficult/ would cause too much brain-ache for car designers to place a permanently powered cigar-lighter/USB socket (and on/off switch*) either into the top surface of the dash or/and also the driver's overhead lighting panel?
    * preventing accidental battery drain.

Another big moan is that when cars are supplied with electric tyre pumps, surely the cigar-lighter type power socket (maybe also with an on/off switch?) should also work if the ignition is switched off, so in that when you have to use it to inflate the tyre, the driver doesn't have to risk life and limb, (at the roadside) getting back into the car to turn the electrics on, in order to pump the tyre up?!

12. Scphoto

Battery life is fairly poor on my GoPro (around 1-1.5 hrs). I guess you might be able to run it of a battery pack (fine unless it rains!).

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Most cars will have a switched supply in close proximity to the internal mirror because in almost every case an auto-dimming mirror is an option, additionally there will be sensors in the same area that are only powered when the ignition is on. A USB socket would require that the power available were 5V when it is possible that a camera may require 12V. Cigar lighter sockets are too big, there is actually a need for a more sensibly sized power socket.

I am not a fan of electric tyre compressors, I'll take a spare wheel every time, please.

14. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

My 12 year old Astra Estate does have a permanently powered cigar-lighter, and I use this both for my tyre pump, and my GPS unit. Madam's similar vintage Citroen C3 doesn't have such a useful facility - the cigar lighter is only powered when ignition is on. When trading up, I rejected the then current Astra Estate because styling had reduced the boot space by installing some decorative feature - denying me space for my large tripod and trolley. I haven't dared look at a modern SUV!

15. Andrew Flannigan

Do you wear a high vis jacket when cycling? I always did and despite commuting several miles (via fairly busy roads) never once had the sort of problems you've run into. I put that down to my being clearly visible at all times.

16. PeteRob

Best thing I ever bought. Preset the pressure, push the on switch and that's it. Cut's off when pressure is reached.

The only nuisance with mine is that the cable is sized to use the ignition dependent driver-side power socket whereas I have a 12 V permanently live socket in the boot. I can do the rear 2 tyres easily but the front two require piddling about moving the pump through the car. Another 4' of cable is what it needs, to reach from boot to front wheels.

17. PeteRob

I was wearing high vis yesterday when a highways truck did a needlessly close pass similar to the wagon in video 4.

18. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Sorry, wrong item description, what I don't like are the tyre compressors that dispense a sealing agent into the tyre should you get a puncture. I have no problem with compressors except that they have a very low flow rate.

19. Andrew Flannigan

That's not good. Unfortunately there are people in charge of lorries who clearly shouldn't be.

Trannifan and Scphoto like this.
  20. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I carry a folding wheelchair in my car - and sometimes a compact tots folding buggy. Most 5-door cars have sloping rear windows, which means they just don't offer the space needed, so have a VW Touran or similar. With the increasing number of elderly or less mobile people, one would have thought that functionality should/would have priority over form?