1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is anyone going to stand up for Angela Rayner?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Learning, Sep 27, 2021.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I think that her comments say nothing about Bozo that we did not know before. They do demonstrate that she is rather worse.

2. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Why? She used a word. So what?

Johnson, by contrast, is removing £20 per week in universal credit, from people who can ill afford to lose it.

I know which of these two actions I consider the more offensive.

miked, TimHeath, Petrochemist and 5 others like this.
  3. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

The Conservatives can't believe their luck! Yes, Johnson was careless with his comments.
    It's not just what she said, but her position in the party which is HM Loyal Opposition. If Labour are really keen to govern, they need to convince a wide proportion of the electorate that the party is mature, and properly fit to govern.

(I wonder if her drink was spiked? )

4. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Despite the woman's insistence that Boris has made some rather outré comments, he has not, as far as I am aware, descended to ad hominem insults, using language remarkably inappropriate for a shadow minister.

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

What has she done?

6. peterba

She failed to use sufficiently offensive language. ;)

7. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Was she the one that called tories "scum" ?

Zou likes this.
  8. peterba

Yes, that's it. A real faux pas. Of all the four letter words available, there are plenty of others that I would have used in preference.

Zou, CollieSlave and steveandthedogs like this.
  9. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I am clearly in a minority of one here. I expect senior political leaders, potential or actual, to conduct discourse in a civilized fashion, without recourse to coarse language insults.

Frankly, it told me far more about Angela Rayner than it did Boris Johnson.

zx9r likes this.
  10. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Frankly I'd be happy for the whole lot of them to swear like troopers if they would just stop lying, cheating, scaremongering, manipulating, philibustering, philandering, stonewalling, stealing, and generally behaving like scum.

11. peterba

I think this thread should be closed after that post, Kath. Nothing better could be said.

Zou and Petrochemist like this.
  12. Mike40

Mike40 Well-Known Member

It was Nye Bevan - driving force behind the foundation of the NHS - who remarked that “The Tories are like vermin, they’re always with us”, which is as true today as it ever was. Angela Rayner’s comment is nothing more than speaking truth to power.

May I recommend a book by Peter Hennessy called ‘Never Again’ that describes how the organised working class, and especially those men returning from the war, were determined that they would never again be exploited by the forces of organised capital…….and the reasons for that and their aspirations for their, and their childrens, future.

Never underestimate or dismiss the damage that the Tories inflict on working people.

Take care,
    Mike

Zou, CollieSlave, beatnik69 and 3 others like this.
  13. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

It's massive double standards from anyone who thinks her words were innapropriate, given the hate speech members of the Tory party have gotten away with in print.

The prime minister was sacked from a job for lying.

And we're upset that someone in the opposition called them scum?

Members of the Tory party have used phrases which incited, supported, encouraged or failed to denounce racial hatred and violence, and you think calling someone scum should result in an apology?

FFS.

14. peterba

I'm not sure whether, technically, the term ad hominen can refer to groups of people (which, after all, is what Angela Rayner did i.e. referring to the Tories, not specifically to Johnson), rather than an individual - but if it can, then I'm afraid he has.

A quick search turned up some examples :-

If he is blue collar, he is likely to be drunk, criminal, aimless, feckless and hopeless, and perhaps claiming to suffer from low self-esteem brought on by unemployment”. (Spectator, 1995)

tank-topped bumboys” (Telegraph, 1998)

It is said that the Queen has come to love the Commonwealth, partly because it supplies her with regular cheering crowds of flag-waving piccaninnies.” (Telegraph, 2002)​

In addition to these, there are the well-known references to Muslim women looking like “bank robbers” and “letterboxes".

Errrrrrr....... not really the stuff of civilised discourse. o_O

15. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Come on lads and lassies, our "beloved" prime minister has achieved something of note...

...he's more or less united the members of this forum!

:p:p:p:p:p

16. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

No, I am Sparticus.

Graeme

Zou, beatnik69 and Fen like this.
  17. Fen

Fen The Destroyer

Not saying they are scum... but it seems that both tories and scum float to the top..!

Zou, AndyTake2 and steveandthedogs like this.
  18. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

I dont think I have seen any footage of Boris issuing a denial?

Graeme

Zou likes this.
  19. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Even he can see a denial will only reinforce the truth of her remark.

20. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I will stand up for her because I'm a gentleman