1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is anybody making money…

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Chris Cool, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

…out of photography on these forums?

I ask because quite a few of you have websites with some decent stuff on and some of you do weddings etc etc…

With regards selling from your own website ? Are sales good, bad or in the middle?

The reason I ask is that there are some really awful sites out there (not from our own membership) selling below par stuff, that I wonder if the ‘pics for sale’ signs are just in case there is a rare chance that some gullible punter will come along and buy one…

So, come clean and gives us the nitty gritty so that when I come back in my next life, I can decide if being a pro photographer is the way to go :)

Chris [​IMG] …listen, don’t frighten me with tails of it’s 'bloody hard work' cos that will put me off… for ever!

PS. I see a typical scenario of me taking a few pics, tweaking them like mad to make ‘em well saturated etc (like the chocolate box type pic) then plonking them on me website with a ‘for sale’ sign for say ‘A4 £9.99 plus p&p’ (a few bog rolls glued together for posting the pic in etc) printing them out on my old Epson with the cheap inks (don’t worry, I’d tell ‘em to display the pics in albums or dim lighting etc) then sitting back in me armchair, feet up, waiting for the money to roll in – easy peezy. lemon squeezy?

2. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

I've sold about 14 or 15 photographs without actively trying to sell, in each case I've been approached by the publication and asked for a high resolution scan - one picture was newsworthy, the rest were for illustration purposes (including 5 photos in an article on street photography, published in a Chinese glossy!). On top of that I sold about 10 photographs for use in a local history type CD ROM . . . . the other photographers used in that particular project were Hill & Adamson (pretty good company).

What I've learned is that if you want to sell photographs, then it helps if you specialize in a particular area . . . . or maybe I just got lucky.

It's nice and it pays for some of the film but I'm keeping my day job.

Alan.

3. Wilko

Wilko Well-Known Member

If you couldn't make a living out of it, then I don't know who could
    Plus of course 'Chris's PS secrets CD's' at fifteen quid a throw

Graham NRIPN

4. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Graham, you are a bloody crawler... but I do like it :)

Alan, thanks :)

Chris [​IMG] ...postal orders in the post Graham...

5. Salazar

Salazar In the Stop Bath

I suppose I kind of do. Well I take photographs as part of my job 2G/3G Radio Planner and general layabout

<font color=blue>Steve C Thompson</font color=blue>

6. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Some - not a lot. I began submitting stock early last year, but ground to a halt in the summer, for various reasons. Nevertheless the samll portfolio I did build up has given me a few sales. If I had kept to the targets I set myself for submissions then, purely on a scaling up basis, I would expect the sales to have run comfortably into four figures for the year (£s, not number of images sold!).

Hopefully I'll get started again, but I seem to have gone back to LF work in the meantime, and I'm not good at keeping two different things going at once. If I can get onto the books of a suitable agency with the 5x4 stuff then maybe I'll be off and running again. :)

Best single image sale was about $380, to some telecoms company for their website - a picture of a polecat. Not even a particularly good one! :)

Huw Evans.

7. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

"a picture of a polecat. Not even a particularly good one!"..................this polecat, did it have a criminal record then? /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

BigWill

<font color=blue>I'm sailing like a driftwood on a windy bay!<font color=black>

8. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Yeah - it was The Lady in Red by Chris de Burgh! :)

[One bad joke deserves another. ;-)]

Huw Evans.

9. Ashton Lamont

Ashton Lamont In the Stop Bath

Got these four going out in todays post:
    http://www.ashtonlamont.co.uk/sporting-moments/rhm2005/gal01/0897-rhm2005.htm two copies

http://www.ashtonlamont.co.uk/living-history/ww2lha/galcol/2934-ww2lha.htm

http://www.ashtonlamont.co.uk/living-history/ww2lha/galcol/3012-ww2lha.htm

http://www.ashtonlamont.co.uk/corp-events/mercury/gallery700px-partone/_l5w0167-mercury.htm again two copies

Plus some from password protected galleries

Sorry, can't remember how to multiple hotlink in this room.

I agree though Chris, on many sites its a rather forlorn hope that anyone's ever going to buy the c--p masquerading as art. I'm not an artist I'm a tradesman doing a cleaner tidier quicker job than people could do for themselves.

I could tell you how its done but then I'd have to kill you :) Clue: people must be able to find you in the 1st place so study up on search engine principles.

Pete
    Ashton Lamont

10. Ashton Lamont

11. BigWill

"Can you post the image Huw?"..................yes, you get this big brown envelope see, and then you put the picture in it, and then you write the address on it and then you take it down the post office................ok, I'll get me coat! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

BigWill

12. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Actually, Pete probably means can I post him that 6x6 transparency I promised him months ago, and still keep forgetting to sort out! ;-) I will, Pete, I promise - I'll post it soon. :)

But here's the polecat, if that's what you really meant. :)

[​IMG]

Huw Evans.

13. BigWill

I strictly forbid you from entering that in next months gallery "animals" theme..................it's far too good................you have to give the others a chance.....................now stop trying to weasel out of it..................if you ferret around in your archives you're bound to come up with something that would even please David Stoat! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

BigWill

14. Salazar

Salazar In the Stop Bath

Thats not a Pole Cat. You only find them in the Pink Rhino. Well thats wot Will told me.

15. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

You forgot mink and pine marten! :)

Huw Evans.

16. BigWill

"You forgot mink and pine marten"...........................look, everyone's trying to forget mink these days, it's so "passé" since synthetic fur became politically correct.....................as for what Mrs.Parr said when her husband asked her in B&Q "do you reckon it's teak dear?" "No it's pine martin".................well that's anyone's guess!/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

BigWill

17. Salazar

Salazar In the Stop Bath

GROAN

18. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Okay - I'm impressed! You've obviously been studying the Nick Roberts Bumper Book of Puns. :)

Huw Evans.

19. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Yep, generally enough to pay for my gear over a year period.

/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Jack

Life is a Photo-Op

20. Ashton Lamont

Re: but sometimes they're free

Once you've got your head around metadata etc its interesting to study what images are being viewed and where from - do this using your hosts data like MatrixStats from Fasthosts or by putting a Javascript on each page from Statcounter. If you use a text translator you can find out what people anywhere in the World are actually saying - more valuable in many ways that straight comments by photographers because they are coming from people who view the image for what it is.

Most images are not going to be bought and there's a lot of copying and hotlinking goes on - but in these circumstances you were never going to make a sale anyway.

Here's one of mine of Nicky Byrne - a member of Westlife - which has found its way onto the official Westlife Germany boards. The swinehunts have hotlinked it despite a Javascript protection, and for some inexplicable reason I didn't watermark it - but I don't have a bandwidth restriction anyway. Its the football one about 3/4 down the page

http://www.westlife.de/board/thread.php?threadid=7299&sid=&threadview=0&hilight=&hilightuser=0&page=2

The translated comments are perplexing :-(

I had another one of a soldier that started appearing on US fetish sites - uniforms, bondage, and all that stuff!

Pete
    Ashton Lamont