1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Ireland

Discussion in 'Web Sites of Interest' started by Chris Cool, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

2. ncmoody

ncmoody Well-Known Member

Thanks Chris,

They are my type of pictures.

3. georgie

georgie Well-Known Member

Can i ask from my point of view living in an area of some of those pics--what stands out in the pics you like from his work????

4. ncmoody

Sorry I can put my finger on it, this is why I never comment on pictures posted by out fellow forumites. It's a gut thing with me, once the technicals are correct.

5. georgie

It wasnt from a critism point of view Neill it's because i am in the process of photographing my area before it changes and wondered what you LIKED more than disliked.

6. ncmoody

Sorry to be a pain Geordie but I cant help you much here.
    I like photographing landscapes and Ladies, (not in that order) and the style and locations of these photos appealed to me. You could look at my Flickr site to see what I shoot if that helps.

7. georgie

ok Neill thanks :cool:

8. Sharp Shooter

Sharp Shooter Well-Known Member

A ludicrous amount of thumbnails for one page, but some very good shots here.

I'll be coming back to this one!

Thanks for sharing.
    :)

9. MPB

MPB Well-Known Member

Brings back some memories of student days mapping in county clare some fantastic pictures :D

10. Tacitus

Tacitus Well-Known Member

That's difficult, particularly regarding the lansdcape vistas. Since the scenery of the Celtic 'fringe' is broadly quite similar it is often difficult to recognise a Cornish, Irish, Welsh or SW Scottish scene. This is particularly the case with coasts, unless there is a cultural reference point such as a farmhouse or castle with a regional character. For me, landscape images that could equally have been taken in Cornwall or Galway, the Rockies of the Alps, are much less interesting than ones that have a real feeling of time and place, or ones that capture a "spirit" of the district. I like images that have a "resonance" that helps to mark them as different or special places. Sea-shore rocks at sunset can be photographed almost anywhere around the world. However, getting that extra - even subjective and intangible - element into a single photograph can be difficult. It's easier with a series or set which can explore the subject or district, and make contrasts and counterpoints. I suppose what I'm saying is that (for me) an image that conveys or elicits an emotion is the ultimate aim ... and preferably empathy rather than hostility or frustration, etc.

There are some excellent images on the Tales of Ireland, and they work together quite well. Individually, a few are a bit anonymous and don't make me say "Wow, where is it? I want to go there!" , but they are not particularly diminished by that.

11. Simon E.

Simon E. Well-Known Member

georgie, IMHO I think you need to focus on what you find worth recording, and what you think people who see your photos in the future may find interesting.

Scenic 'pretty' pictures (no slur intended) won't necessarily help in that respect - Giant's Causeway isn't likely to change much. What changes is the roads, the houses, the street facades, the people and their interaction. Try to photograph the things that matter to people but go unrecorded. And don't delay, it's probably already changing. Record the changes in progress (e.g. construction sites) too, if you can.

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Actually, I heard something the other day that suggests it might, what with rising sea levels and different weather patterns. Shoot the lot, I say.

13. Simon E.

Simon E. Well-Known Member

Maybe, though last time I heard the Causeway was made of basalt so it won't melt or get washed away this summer. It's also one of the most frequently photographed things on the whole island (probably second after groups of drunk men/women in Dublin's pubs on a stag/hen weekend).

More importantly, shoot the things that change fastest first. And do it now.

14. Tacitus

:eek:

I hadn't spotted the date of the OP when I replied .... only the one above mine. Reassuringly the Causeway is still there: any erosion is due to human footsteps rather than wave action.

15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Indeed on all counts, but it really was just last week I heard that the Causeway is likely to be underwater for most of the year before too long...

The point I was trying to make was that it's not always obvious what will change, or over what timeframe. If you assume something won't, and don't document it, it's too late when it does. OK, in this case it's something already extremely well documented, but it was only intended to be an illustration (sorry!) - there are plenty of things out there that look permanent, but can be gone before you know it.

16. Tacitus

As sanguine old geologist I occasionally take the long view, summarised in popular TV documentaries as "Ultimately, we're doomed, but what's the point of fretting?" view on some aspects of our changing world and environment.

More often, as committed a Meldrewite, whenever I see people forcing change on my environment - like demolishing loved buildings, building monstrocities, polluting the biosphere, etc - I am rather less sanguine: "For goodness sake .... I just don't believe it!" rants, etc.

Sadly the pace of the human-induced change is much more rapid nowadays than hitherto, both in terms of global and local environmental impacts. So "yes", photograph it today, it may be gone (or inaccessible to us) tomorrow - often in the name of "progress", too.

.T.