1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IR converted cameras, who uses one?

Discussion in 'Colour or Not' started by dazdmc, Dec 29, 2019.

1. dazdmc

dazdmc Active Member

I have a Nikon D70s thats been converted to 720nm. Does anyone else here have similar that I can ask some questions of? I've researched loads online and have got the basics down and know I need to experiment more, but if you want the honest truth I'm being a little lazy!!! (and the light in Scotland at this time of year isn't great for playing)
    My main question I suppose is what WB gives a good start for contrasty B+W conversion?
    What would you recommend I play with? Should I try and set everything in camera as far as I can or rely on post procesing (which I hate) Any advice/tips or just pointers would be really welcome,

thanks

daz

2. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I believe @ElSid takes a lot of IR stuff.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

My son has had several IR converted cameras, (Nikon, Olympus) the current is a Canon 6D. His last reply to the what software question was Canon DPP and GIMP. I'm fairly sure that you won't get rid of the colour cast with a simple white balance correction. I'll ask next time I see him.

4. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

I have 2 converted to full spectrum, as well as several others that are natively IR sensitive, or have removable hot mirrors.

Most of the time I shoot with filters that allow both IR & some visual to be recorded, but I did shoot 720nm yesterday!

The traditional WB for 720nm is a custom WB recorded shooting healthy foliage (with the filter fitted), but I've never found it to matter too much for monochrome shots. I just use one of my saved CWB. White balance has much more effect if you're trying to record some false colour. Yesterday I found I was seeing much more blue in the results than I usually do with a 720nm filter, I may well keep them as pseudo pop-colour shots rather than converting to B&W.

With the sun low in the sky at this time of year the best results are typically when shooting with the sun behind you - not something that makes much difference in summer especially around midday.

Done_rundleCams likes this.