1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPhonography :D

Discussion in 'Smartphone photography' started by PhilW, Mar 25, 2012.

1. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

been gardening most of the day and snapped this with my phone.

[​IMG]

2. BrianWall

BrianWall Well-Known Member

Very striking.

3. Caulkhead

Caulkhead Well-Known Member

Nice. I have been thinking about a similar shot- light thru daffs. Pity you have lost the stamens :-(

4. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

If you feel a bit funny, Phil, it's the evil thoughts coming from me about you taking a better daff pic with your iPhone than I've ever managed with all manner of fancy kit (including a Tamron 90mm...).

Not impressed, because it means I must be a muppet. Grr!

Adrian

(not quite serious, but getting there!)

5. dachs

dachs Well-Known Member

living proof thay striking composition and light are the foundation,
    however agree with Adrian that i-phone pix should be stomped, on the grounds of the angst it brings the rest of us heavy spenders,

If this one had real definition it would be a winner - in a few years when i-phones are replaced by 10 Gb zed-toys with Kreutznach power field lenses, well I'll give up I guess

6. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

I'm just about there with "the phone kills the compact" thesis

I liked these as well from today, though npt as much as the Dafs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. kiwibloke

kiwibloke Well-Known Member

Nice Daff's, shame about the black square in the top right.

KB

8. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

I wondered about that - I do have an edited version, but thought that sort of spoils the point of using the camera: phone>phone app>internet no "shoppery"

Anyway here it is

[​IMG]

9. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Not sure why using a phone would preclude use of photoshop. Nothing trad about iphones. BTW just seen an advertising brief from a famous manufacturer who is trying to define / redefine what compacts are now for in the iphone age. Answers on a postcard please.....

Love the pics.

10. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

It's strange isn't it how things work out.

For me the camera phone snap has replaced the old film family snap.

You know the ones I mean - the 1,000s of everyday pics people took, sent to boots for processing and popped in a family album.

So from that I *think* it follows that iPhoneography is implicitly a "get it right in camera" photographic form. Editing in photoshop is "cheating" in the sence that in the old days no one ever picked out one shot from their 36 pics of "a day at the beach" and took it into a dark room and spent lots of time printing it carefully.

It almost the opposite for my counter argument that in serious photography photoshop is not cheating as serious photography always was hand crafted through the develop & print stages.

11. Dougall

Dougall Well-Known Member

Yes very nice phil.

12. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

13. MEKent

MEKent Well-Known Member

Wonderful shot! Really striking. What size could you print to before suffering image degradation out of interest?

Mark.

14. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

No idea - not very big I wouldn't have thought. image dimensions are 2048 x 2048 px, so probably 10" x 10"

15. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

The daf one is really good. :)

What's matter Phil had enough of the dSLR? :D

You fancy a model shoot with the iphone as a challenge?