1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iphone cameras ......

Discussion in 'Smartphone photography' started by MickLL, Sep 6, 2012.

1. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

...... do not work well at the circus.

MickLL

2. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

Ice cubes ......

...... do not work well in active volcanoes.

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Crampons......

......are not popular at ice skating rinks.

4. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Facebook

.........gets more and more appealing.

5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

It's magnificent
    ....but it's not war

6. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

OK Let me explain.

I went to the circus with my grandson. I forgot my camera and had only an Iphone with me. The Iphone inbuilt camera was constantly fooled by the 'show' lighting, flashed when I didn't want it to flash and focussed on the wrong things.

It didn't perform well.

I can see that being cryptic doesn't work either.

MickLL

7. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

If by cryptic you mean in the sense of being obscure I reckon you succeeded, sure had most of us fooled.

8. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

You mind is too complicated. I was not obscure. I said what I wanted to say in just a few words.

"Iphone cameras do not work well at the circus". What's obscure about that?;)

MickLL

9. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Nothing but the maxim " Never state the obvious" comes to mind.;)

10. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

Oh, and there was me thinking we had just invented a new style of Haiku :D

11. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

A misprint, shirley ... "more and more appalling" is a far better description of farcebook

12. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

In my experience as long as the light levels are not very low (high ISO = amazingly grainy) the iPhone has a reasonably capable camera even in tricky lighting situations.

Like almost every other camera the thing is to take it off auto.

So turn the flash off (option top left of screen)

But even more importantly take control of the exposure. Without exposure control then you are knackered.

If you tap the screen the phone will

a) Focus on that spot
    b) It will meter off that spot

b) is the crucial one as dof is so great with it unless you are shooting macro everything will be acceptably sharp.

I havn't tried to work out if it is spot metering or centering the metering area on the "tap" but just by tapping around various areas you want to be mid tones does give a good deal of control.

Hope that helps for next time

13. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Thanks Phil. That's really helpful.

I've only had the phone for a short time and although I like it the lack of instructions are a bit of a handicap for an old codger like me.

MickLL

14. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

I nominate the above for best post of the year!!!!!!!!!!

15. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

Yes Mick, but "you don't need a manual" is an apple mantra :p

I think i discovered the above by accident, i think i knew about selecting the focus point from somewhere, and just observed the exposure changing with it.

It really is a capable little thing though.

See below for a set I took over three days at a music festival in some quite varued lighting situations. Note the lack of many low light shots though. \those are the iPhones real weakness.

http://www.philwinterbourne.co.uk/cropredyinsta/index.html

16. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The instructions for the iPhone are available as a free download from iTunes in the form of an eBook. Search for iPhone User Guide.

17. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

[​IMG]

18. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

I did not think your post was obscure Mick - but I could understand a FB person thinking so lol ;)

19. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

So it is, thanks :)

The pertinent bit is:

"A rectangle on the screen shows the area where Camera is focusing the shot.

Change the focus area and set exposure: Tap where you want to focus. Camera
    automatically adjusts the exposure for the selected area of the image"

It doesn't explain the metering mode used, but as you can see what's happening on screen you probably don't need to know that (however interesting it might be to photo geeks such as me!)

20. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I have an HTC One S and recently it wasn't assessing the internet so I went to the website, which has a wonderfully simple help screen, you select your problem answer a number of Yes/No questions until you reach a solution.....Mine was switching the airplane mode on then off again, which worked but left me puzzled as to how I could have worked it out in the first place or indeed even why it worked at all

Interestingly a friend had the same problem with her Samsung Galaxy and switching the airplane mode on and off solved it