1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

This isn't Air Drop, it is a new "feature" in MacOS Mojave, I haven't had time to try it yet. Yes Air Drop is good and does what it says on the tin.

2. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Very costly though. It is perhaps cheaper to hotspot it from the iPhone, certainly those that have huge data bundles which most seem to nowadays.

3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

How long has Mojave’s been out? Not had a prompt for me to upgrade yet.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

First I heard of it. I still have to move to High Sierra.

5. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Doesn’t it only work on MacBooks and desktops.,. Not not iPads

6. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I'm sure the sim model is very useful at times but not for me. Most of the time I have access to wifi and if not I can use the hotspot from my phone. I don't see the point in paying extra for a sim model and data, but that's me and my needs.

Gezza likes this.
  7. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

I decided on the tablet over a smartphone, not owned a mobile since 2009 ish

My iPad is my communication device, £40 a month for 20 GB download and a ‘free’ upgrade every 2 years.

8. Bazarchie

I'm not a Mac user so cannot comment. However I'm sure Apple make it easier to transfer to /from Mac to iPad than for a pc. I use pcs at home as my work laptops are all pcs. If I ever retire I may reconsider but Windows 10 works for me.

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

It hasn't been out very long but as I had been putting off going to High Sierra I decided to take those of my Macs that were suitable straight to Mojave. The ones that aren't will stay at High Sierra.

Apple didn't make it very clear at the time that High Sierra would still support 32Bit programs, as does Mojave, so I put off the upgrade thinking I might need to upgrade MS Office too, actually my version of Office is fine with both but from 2019 32Bit applications won't be supported.

Yes but upgrading the MacOS together with iOS12 is supposed to improve functionality, not tried it yet though my iPhone and iPad are at iOS12.

The 4G iPads have something else the Wi-Fi models don't have, GPS. If you want to use an iPad for navigation you need the 4G model or to have a connection to an iPhone for GPS.

10. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

I didn’t bother with sim as it will always connect through my phone if Wi-fi isn’t available.

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Fine, as long as you don't need GPS either. The extra gets both a SIM slot and a GPS module, if I were to buy another iPad I would go for a 4G model for the GPS.

12. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Have gps on phone and camera. I’m not arguing against anything really just giving my experience with using iPad Pro and appreciate others needs are different.

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

You don't have to have a SIM fitted or use cellular data but I would like the GPS facility so I think that might tip it for me.

14. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

Mojave is worth it just for Dark Mode alone (although your own personal judgement might be different!!).

15. Bazarchie

Did you buy one?

16. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Unfortunately Mojave is only for 2012 and later Macs so my iMac will stay at High Sierra.

17. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Wandered down to Currys, stood around for some time trying to look like someone who wanted to throw money at the shop. An assistant eventually fell into the bear-trap I'd dug. When he climbed out, I said

"I'll have one of them, lad", pointing at the display.

"I'm afraid they're out of stock, Sir."

"Goodbye."

I'll get on to John Lewis, they will deliver to the local Waitrose.

S

Bazarchie likes this.
  18. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Right, that's done, after 14:00 tomorrow!

S

19. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

I'm just scrapping through with my 2012 Mac Mini! Annoyingly though it appears on the App store as a download on my 2011 mac Mini.

20. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Try downloading it and it says that it isn't compatible.

Scphoto likes this.