1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

As far as I'm concerned, any computer runs on Discworld physics.

S

2. saxacat

saxacat Well-Known Member

If your end solution involves uploading images to the 'cloud' then you need to have a decent upload speed on your internet connection.

My BT Infinity upload speed is abysmal (0.5Mb/s), I frequently end up using my mobile's 4G connection to upload stuff to the cloud.

3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

To get the best from modern technology (i.e. seamless sharing of images across multiple devices, moving content around, etc.) you really need an understanding of some basics and an element of fearlessness to try things out. Forums are a terrible place to get this and I strongly recommend looking for a local course or education option. Many local councils run services like this, Which used to, and many colleges may provide low cost short duration courses. I think we should all be empowered to get the most from the digital age, but not everyone can do it alone - so I encourage you to seek out options in your area for intro courses and the like.

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well actually, you stated that with Apple, it wasn't account-level integration, which you now obviously see that it is.

"Non-native"? If you really think a one-off sign-on to a different account is so difficult that it's worth the Apple Premium for every bit of kit you use, then it's not surprising that it's often known as the Idiot Tax. ;) It's facile to work on equipment across different platforms with different operating systems these days. If you want to criticise Windows for how it was in 2009, fine, but if you think that's how it is now, nearly 10 years later, you're living in iCloud Cuckoo Land. :) There are a lot of good reasons to choose Apple kit, but it pays to be aware of how things have changed elsewhere - who wants to be known for dishing out vastly out-of-date advice, after all?

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Nick, do you never remember or read what people say? I stopped using Windows at work two years ago and I mentioned earlier that I have a Windows device to access two specific applications. That device runs 32 bit Windows 10 so I am not criticising the Windows of 2009! Actually 10 seems even more frustrating.
    Yes Non-native, if you want an Android phone to integrate with Windows you can't just log into the phone with your Windows ID can you? Of course it isn't difficult but it does require some set-up, minimal probably but none the less it isn't a case of "buy the kit, switch on, log-in, done" is it?
    Actually I am not entirely convinced it is account level integration because some integration appears to work at the local network level, even without an internet connection.

However, this is all way of topic.

6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

For once I'm in whole hearted agreement with you. Mrs F is using it for a particular purpose and I dread the inevitable cry for help. I've been using Micro$oft's products since the days of the Commodore Pet and I've felt that each new release introduces 1 improvement and 5 bugs.

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have said before that Windows isn't an operating system, it is an industry. Windows Vista seemed to be all bugs and no improvements at which point I decided I had had enough. Had I been able to "down" grade back to XP I would have been happy but Sony wouldn't help.

8. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Yes: XP SP2 was far and away the most stable of the lot.

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I certainly do, but the evidence of this thread is that you don't read or remember what you yourself said... ;)

Yes, absolutely it is, you just need to log in twice, once to your Google account, and once to your Microsoft account. I get that as you find that far too difficult, both as a concept to understand and to actually do, so you're probably best sticking with the micromanaged Apple ecosystem. ;)

You do understand that the only way that could possibly work with any level of security at all is at the level of account integration, don't you?

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Windows 7 in its corporate guise was fine too in terms of stability, I only saw blue screens after about five years with my work laptop. The corporate Windows we used had much of the problematic bits stripped out which helped massively. My main frustration with that computer was that, being a company computer, I couldn't have some pieces of software because they hadn't been tested. Microsoft's XML editor as an example, I wanted XML Notepad but the "approved" editor was Notepad ++. If I wanted a graphics package, which I did, the only option was Photoshop way over specified for what I needed. I ended up using three computers, one for XML editing, one for graphics and one for everything else.

11. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

There are several methods, once you get used to one or two it becomes easy. iTunes, the software that controls iPads and iPhones from a pc will allow you to transfer photos to an iPad. You need to connect the iPad to the pc with a lead which comes with the iPad. You can transfer photos from the iPad to the pc through a lead but not with iTunes.

As mentioned above Dropbox, a free app, will allow you to transfer photos wirelessly in either direction.

There are other apps that give transfer in either direction, some free some not, but watch out for dodgy download sites.

You can email photos but this is tedious.

It's not as bad as it may seem.

EightBitTony and steveandthedogs like this.
  12. steveandthedogs

Ta.

What I needed.

Down to the shop tomorrow if finances allow.

S

13. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I have avoided an iPad for ages now. My wife uses hers a lot. Finally last week I bought a new one. An iPad, not the mini. It really is a decent thing. I want it for work too, but I needed a lightening to VGA adapter. £49 for an Apple one. You can get cheaper addons, but there is a chance that they will just stop working. Sometimes 3rd party chargers stop working, so it may seem expensive, but at times it is worth spending the money for accessories and get genuine Apple products. I am a Mac and IOS user and have been for many years, so am happy with how they work etc.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  14. dream_police

I got it from John Lewis as opposed to apple. JL are giving a 3 year warranty with theirs. iPad is still the same cost.

15. steveandthedogs

Wondered about JL.
    Got my last machine from them, cheaper than anywhere else at the time.

S

16. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I notice that in MacOS Mojave there is an option to transfer images from an iPad or iPhone to a Mac, no I haven't tried it.

17. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

Are you getting a 4g/sim model? I would recommend it.

I had my last iPad on contract, which is good if you haven’t got £££s up front to throw into a tablet.

18. steveandthedogs

Steady on, I've only just almost made my mind up.

Probably just the standard thing, though.

S

EightBitTony likes this.
  19. dream_police

You can do it by Airdrop and have been able to for ages.. Ipad/iPhone to Mac and vice versa. Does Mojave do it in a different way?

20. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Airdrop is fine. The reason I like Dropbox is integration between all apples and windows.... it’s really simple and it’s free.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018