1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I could do with something smaller than a laptop to carry pictures around [not that many at a time] and perhaps do a little light processing occasionally.
    Anyone got any comments about iPads?
    I don't really want Android things, Windows machines are a bit too big for what I want and even more expensive than iPads.
    The one I'm looking at is the 9.7" model.
    Is 32gb memory enough, or would 128gb be more use?
    Or even the Mini 4?

Other questions - how do you load pictures onto one with no usb port?
    Would the "pencil" be worth the extra?
    Do I actually need one at all, or do I just want a new toy?

S

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

1. Is 32gb memory enough, or would 128gb be more use? When it comes to RAM: more is always better IMO.
    2. Or even the Mini 4? Didn't really like the Mini when I had one. Others will have a different view.
    3. how do you load pictures onto one with no usb port? You need a photo adapter. There are 2 types: one for USB A and the other for SD cards.
    4. Would the "pencil" be worth the extra? I've tried pointers but they don't really work for me. You may get on better with them.
    5. Do I actually need one at all, or do I just want a new toy? I refuse to answer on the grounds someone will think I'm wrong ;)

steveandthedogs likes this.
  3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

That isn't RAM it is storage, I would go for 128 if it is within budget.

I have a Mini 4 and it is adequate for what I want and it fits in a pocket, a fairly large pocket to be sure but the standard iPad won't fit any pocket. If you only want to carry pictures around the Mini might be suitable.

The Pencil may help if you have large fingers but then you have to carry it around and it is an expensive item to lose.

Do you need one at all? Can't say, why not find a secondhand one as cheaply as possible and see if it works for you before spending more on a new one?

4. steveandthedogs

Now there's an idea.

S

5. Andrew Flannigan

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I have no idea how useful they are for image processing. I use mine for web browsing, so accessing my images on Flickr for example, the newspaper, reading work stuff as pdf using iannotate app, and mail. It's old now, bought in 2012, and won't run some apps. I tried to use it and not buy a laptop for work stuff but I didn't cope so I now have a laptop for work. Editing images is done on a mac.

7. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Why not Android? I use both Apple and Samsung devices and don’t really notice a difference. The Samsung has the advantage of a slot for microSD cards.

8. steveandthedogs

I really haven't a clue. probably just prejudice.

What I would like would be to try different types for a while, but that isn't going to happen.

S

9. saxacat

saxacat Well-Known Member

I own an iPad mini2 16Gb, which I've had for a few years. I use it mainly for browsing the web and social media. I use an Android phone.

I can import images to my iPad from an SD card, but cannot export from the iPad to an SD card! very annoying

I can connect my phone to the iPad, using Bluetooth, for tethering, but not for transferring files!

I think Apple devices are fine when being used with other Apple devices, but can be frustrating when trying to use with non-IOS devices.

10. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Are you likely to need full size images on the iPad?

Do you use cloud based photo storage?

11. Andrew Flannigan

In my case it's very simple: there are 2 applications on IOS that make a tablet useful to me that aren't on Android so I use Apple. I do have an Android phablet left over from my working days but I seldom find anything useful for it to do now.

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The memory listed in the specification of an iPad is STORAGE not RAM https://www.apple.com/uk/ipad/compare/#ipad-pro-10-5,ipad I rather think Apple know what they are talking about when they say Capacity.

My iPad Mini 4 is 16GB that is the amount of storage, Apple do NOT quote RAM for the iPad.

13. steveandthedogs

Probably, and

wassat? i.e. no.

S

14. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Apple ... I just hate the things lol

15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

An Apple a day keeps the doctor away!

When I was using Windows computers I got 2 to 3 years out of them before they slowed down to the extent they were unusable. This Mac is seven years old...

16. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

iPads are not particularly user friendly due to the lack of USB port, however there are workarounds which are easy to get used to. There are various ways of getting images onto the iPad e.g. Camera connector, email, iTunes, wifi from the camera.

I tend to only use my iPad for viewing photos and high resolution is not a necessity. I transfer some of my photos to Amazon Photos and then view via the app. This allows thousands of photos to be viewed. I also have a Rav file hub where you can plug an SD card into the hub and read/transfer images to/from the IPad.

I also transfer some photos from the camera to the iPad using either wifi or the camera, but this takes up a lot of storage and I only have 32gb.

I do occasionally edit on the IPad using LR and other programs but I prefer to use the pc. More control.

If you are only going to use an iPad for photos, other options are cheaper. As you say it is unlikely you can try before deciding but perhaps have a look at a friend's tablet or visit a shop that has a wide range.

17. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

I’ve had iPads since 2010, and would recommend them.

Olympus app, upload images direct to device. (and use tablet for remote)

GPS and maps are awesome and much more intuitive over our sat nav!

I use word, excel and PowerPoint along with the Apple stylus for knocking up OU assignments (later edit them on my Mac)

I’ve used other tablets and the screen res and audio don’t come close to the iPad (my opinion)

The panoramic mode is nice feature, photo quality is ok, I used it when I list things on eBay or send work emails with say an image of a part etc. (It is quick)

I use it to store my study books for when on the move, and can annotate notes direct.

Safari is a pretty good search engine for my studies.

My main gripe is not the cost of the device, it is the cost of accessories and the limited storage on the basic model (that said I’ve got 400+ photos stored no problem)

18. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

Why?

I can’t fault my iMac and I’ve owned Apple products since the early 2000s

Did you have a bad experience with them?

19. steveandthedogs

Hmmm, I'm beginning to think it may be a better idea to go for windows 2in1 or something similar since I already have a Win laptop.

Oh god, these computer things can get complicated.

S

20. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The problem now isn't the individual devices but the way they work with other devices. I have pretty much ditched Windows, which I find extremely frustrating, and most of my computing is done using Apple devices. I have a common address book so if I put a new contact on my phone I also have it on iPad and Macs, I can start an email on my iPad and then pick it up on my MacBook. Doing the same things with a Windows PC isn't as simple and requires set-up by the user. Integrating a Windows PC an Android tablet and an iPhone wouldn't be my choice but I assume that it can be done to some extent.

Yes, it is complicated but only because the various manufacturers make it that way.