1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Introduction and 1 question

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by mahendra s, Nov 23, 2020.

1. mahendra s

mahendra s New Member

Hi all,

I am an amateur photgrapher and would like to hire a studio for the first time. Have identified one that provides some lighting equioment and backgrounds for a couple of hundred pounds for 4 hours close to where I live. Equipment wise, I have a panasonic GH4 and Olympus OM-D 1. Lens wise, i have a range of primes (from my older four thirds camera) as well as the newer micro four thirds ones and some wide angle zooms. The reason for the post is how to approach this really. I think I can work out to use the wireless flash, but any tips. The aim is to photograph the family (3 boys) and the wife.

I was thinking of theming it for the kids but any ideas otherwise.

Thanks all for your contribution

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hi, that’s well outside my expertise. What occurs to me is that a) you’ll need a good idea (cunning plan) of what you want to do if you are going to get your money’s worth and b) you’ve probably got tops of 30 mins of actual photographing before everyone’s patience runs out. That is assuming the studio environment helps you out. Even the most cooperative of my lot wouldn’t stand it for more than 10 mins. It’s candids or nothing in our house.

3. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Welcome Mahendra. If it was me, I wouldn't even consider handing over that sort of money if I wasn't totally confident about using the equipment. Do you have a flash gun/speedight? You could buy a reasonably priced backdrop, stand and brolly for £200 and do it at home.

4. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

I've brought a new studio flash for under £100, & backdrops, stands & brollys for £60 (used). The one thing I can't get quite so cheap at home is space, but you could always rent a local community hall - our camera club pays about £10/hour (when covid allows us in the hall).

Of course the professional studio SHOULD have multiple strobes available, along with much bigger reflectors than any of mine...

beatnik69 likes this.
  5. mahendra s

mahendra s New Member

Thanks all for the swift replies. This is an active group! We have done the home photos and I have to say the kids are generally well behaved. I am lucky where I am as in our aprtment, we have a massive white wall as well as a glass fronted facade which gives plenty of natural light. So I was looking at the studio and they list "four Bowens 500 strobe lights and various light modifiers including soft boxes, strip boxes, beauty dish and snoot. The studio has an original old wooden floor, white painted brick wall, a black leather sofa bed, a changing area, choice of backdrops, kitchen and toilet." In terms of pricing, I was not sure how that compared having never done this before, but I thought it was reasonable. In terms of getting equipment, I think I am banned from getting any more by my wife... i have a couple of flashes and now with some smart bulbs, you can really "paint" with light.

Petrochemist likes this.
  6. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Check and see if the studio have trans/ceiver sets for setting off the strobes or a cable/hotshoe adapter if you don't have these things yourself.