1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet download speed

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by swanseadave, Sep 1, 2018.

1. IvorCamera

IvorCamera In the Stop Bath

I'm in Birmingham and on Virgins middle package deal at the mo its 72mbps......which I have never had a problem with, recently I was up north in Blackpool where my sister has Talk Talk and she only pays a fraction of what we are paying down here! and I swear the speed we get up there is faster than I have here in Brum......I am not an expert on these matters but I am thinking of switching.

2. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

You may like to check TalkTalk out before moving to them. I've never used them but a quick search of the web reveals some interesting reports.
    Here's one.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The speed you get mainly depends on two things - the connection and the contention (number of simultaneous users). You are usually stuck with your connection, which must be a good one in your case, with fibre, if not to the house, to very close. Swapping providers can only speed things up if you end up sharing that connection with fewer users (strictly fewer simultaneous data users). I suspect tiered services, where you pay more for more speed, are managed by limiting the contention.

4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

When I signed up for BT Infinity and Infinity 2 they made it clear that was the case, giving out the (max) contention figures. I'll see if I can find them.

Nope, can't see them any more, but I'm sure it was sold as 1:20 vs. the cheaper service (1:50 or so).

5. IvorCamera

Yes I was told all that in the Virgin shop the other day but they would quote that write up wouldnt they.....but I have heard from other revues that talk talk is the bottom of the pile for complaints, but that does not alter the fact that up north at the sisters place in Blackpool it works well on my system I shall be back up there at the end of the month and I will do a few tests.......

6. PeteRob

Just because it is fast in Blackpool it doesn't mean that switching suppliers will increase the speed for you. Given that you have a fast line already the speed you get is down to the other users you share (contend for) it with.

7. IvorCamera

While on the subject our contract with Virgin is now up! and we just might buy their cheapest package, after all while we are at home in Birmingham I dont do any downloading or anything like that its only used for sending pictures and email purposes, or making a few on line buys....

8. Susan Smitha

Susan Smitha Member

I think my 3mbps internet is enough for me to survive.

9. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

Virgin in Birmingham using very old Birmingham Cable connection and is congested in a number of area's although they don't tell you where. My 50mb Virgin service performed worse than my 5mb ADSL (I ditched them after 3 weeks) - I can now get 74mb down and 20mb up thanks to me writing a nice email to the Openreach CEO, who to my surprise replied and escalated the local upgrade to fibre to the cabinet.

If you want to see what services are available to you on a BT(Openreach) Line check here: https://www.dslchecker.bt.com

You'll get a page like this....
    [​IMG]

Key info to look for is VDSL, you can ignore FTTP on demand unless you want to spend thousands on the installation! You may on some cabinets get a service called G-Fast listed - that's new and not many ISPs are supporting it yet.

With regards to Talktalk - yes they get a lot of complaints - but they are a big supplier but cheaper than most. I guess operating a cheaper service something has to give, and maybe in their case a bit of customer service is it.

I had a John Lewis broadband connection (reseller of Plusnet) and that was awful, so it's not just the cheap providers that have issues.

10. PeteRob

I did and it matches what we get.

11. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

57/2.9 Mb/S down/up on VM today.

If you are with VM and don't need the speed, tell them you are going to leave and get a discount. Got a £10/month drop from them a couple of weeks back.