1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet download speed

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by swanseadave, Sep 1, 2018.

1. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

I`m on VM`s up to 100 mbps which is pretty consistently 95-100.Anyone struggling with speed?

I`m just interested that`s all.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That is very fast. I get about 12 down and 2 up. We have no fibre in the street and it is copper wire to the nearest cabinet which is over 1/2 a mile away. I can switch to 4G should I need something faster - gives up to 70 down and 50 up on a good day using a portable mifi device (bought for when I am travelling) but it has a monthly data limit and reliability isn't 100%.

3. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I'm on Virgin cable. Download is always about 165 mbps.

4. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Wish I still was. 1 1/2 miles away from here, in my last house, I was consistently on around 195mb with VM. Now on copper wire, which up until last week was anywhere between 9 and 13. Seems to have got a bit faster this week and i'm hitting 19-20. Woohoo.

5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Mine isn't bad
    d/l 38.2
    u/l 9.2
    response time 117ms

I'm happy enough!

6. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Meanwhile in rural England... I live about 500 metres away the local optically-cabled areas, so still can only get 9-10 mps download via copper cable irrespective of the broadband provider I use (confirmed by a BT Openreach engineer when in my house trying to trace a line fault). Until some work was done at the local exchange a couple of years ago it was about 4 mps. But even that was fast compared to the 48 kilobytes per second I got in 1999 on a dial up modem (48 claimed, about 32 actual). Fortunately I don't want to download video 'box sets' or use catch-up TV services.

The most consistent problem is that between 3 and 5 pm on weekdays in school term time the broadband service often fails for minutes at a time. I assume that all the local schoolchildren are downloading the answers for their homework, video box-sets or music.

7. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Just done speed tests with 2 different services, one gives 83M down, the other 92M; I'm on ntlworld, part of Virgin.

8. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

50 down 10 up, by paying more I could apparently get up to 300 down... But I don't think I need it.

9. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

On BT Infinity 2 (ADSL, FTTC)

10. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

13 down and 0.9 up here
    It's quick enough for sleepy Suffolk :D

We never seem to get any buffering issues so I guess it's ok.
    SKY Broadband. Copper cable to the cabinet about 200 metres away. No idea if Fibre has reached the cabinet yet.

11. swanseadave

There are some big variations there as I expected.The VM cabinet is four metres from my front door!Fibre to the cabinet and copper to the house.
    I doubt it would be so good were I further away.

12. dream_police

I always thought VM was optical fibre to the house in every case.

13. swanseadave

I used to think that too.I found out my mistake recently when the hub failed and was replaced.

14. Roger_Provins

So did I. Mine is optical fibre to the VM "Super Hub" sitting on my desk.

15. dream_police

I take it you don't get the TV then?

16. swanseadave

Yes I do Nigel.The cable from the street cabinet is divided,one going to the Super Hub/modem and the other to the TiVo box.

Roger,are you sure you have fibre indoors?Mine is copper from the street cabinet to hub and TiVo.

17. dream_police

I thought TiVo had to have fibre and as you say split, one to the TiVo and one to the hub. Add this to the thread that I have learnt something new today.

Up until 2016 when I moved house, from when I was with Nynex through its various incarnations to VM ours had always been fibre cable direct into the house

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  18. Roger_Provins

Yes absolutely sure. The cabling was installed by United Artists years ago and just recently checked by VM engineers. The hub was fitted a few years ago and recently replaced with the latest version.

19. swanseadave

OK thank you Roger.

20. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

sometimes I think a carrier pigeon would be faster:rolleyes: