1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Interesting old images

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by contax wide boy, Jul 6, 2019.

1. contax wide boy

contax wide boy Active Member

Maybe he erroneously mistook his facemask for his oxygen mask ?
    Must have been one heck of a shock to the system.

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

When I first flew in Jet Provosts, it was OK so long as you could pull the ejection handle between your knees. A couple of years later, I had to show I could reach the top one, which drew down a mask/cover (presumably) to buffer the shock of the speeding air hitting your head. Fortunately I never had to try it out, although we came close once when a deliberate stall/spin proved hard to get out of. We did and I lived to tell the tale. Of course nearly all my flights were with the test pilots, apart from some scary night flying ones. Ha!

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Would love to have handled a jet.

Apart from Cessnas and the like in later years, I never got beyond the lovely old Chipmunk, where you sat on your parachute and had to walk bent over like a cripple to the plane. Can still remember the drill for baling out right way up: Disconnect intercom, slide canopy back, undo straps release, roll head first over the left side and reach for wing trailing edge with right hand, pull your self forward and down to miss the tail, pull ripcord when clear. Or turn upside down if you can and remember to slide canopy back before releasing straps.

Catriona likes this.
  4. Catriona

Glad I didn't have to remember that! I'm afraid all the instructions would have gone out of my head at the crucial moment. I think it was a chipmunk which gave us aero-tows sometimes on my glider flights. I used to be the one they always wanted for car tows. We had an American truck and I loved giving launches. :) Talking of parachutes made me laugh. In the gliders, I used to have to get someone to hold onto the top straps as I sat down on my cushions! I am a little one. If I'd had to jump out, I reckon I would probably have lost the parachute straight away. Ha!
    Things I remember: controls, brakes, straps, instruments, trim, canopy, ballast (which I needed then). Fun days.

5. RovingMike

I only ever had winch launches in my glider training, until a one-off flight about 20 years ago, I had an air tow. Was great. No parachute of course. CISTRS: Controls, Instruments, Slats, Trim, Release, Straps. No brakes, but yes ballast in tandem seaters flying solo.You never forget.

Catriona likes this.
  6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Most tautological of you. ;)

There was no mistake about the ejection. Tony was on loan to the RAAF from Boscombe Down. He was flying a test plan of dips and climbs at 40,000 feet (engine surge tests) and the last dip turned into a Mach 1+ spin dive he couldn't recover from. He came out of the aircraft at around 7,000 feet.

7. Catriona

With a winch, our average launch was 1,000ft. With a car tow, I could get someone up to 1,400ft with very sensitive driving. :)

8. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I can add a bit more to the Lightning ejection photo. The camera referred to in the article was an MPP 5x4 camera (two pictures - a single double-sided film holder?)! Rather than heading straight into the ground as it looks the aircraft is actually tumbling, and heading l-r across the frame - you can see the direction of travel from the debris spread in the aftermath photos - which probably gave Aird's parachute a fraction more time to open. Apparently on his return to work following the accidenrt he was not amused to find a tin of tomatoes on his desk (I may be confusing this bit with a Blackburn Buccaneer test pilot who ended up in a similar place, though).

Adrian

RovingMike likes this.
  9. RovingMike

Yes, possibly nose pushed down by force of the ejection? Looks like he has not really gone that far from it.

10. saxacat

saxacat Well-Known Member

I always had a great admiration for Lightning pilots. There were a number of occasions when I was sat with many others in an Ops room, waiting to hear news after losing comms with a Lightning under our control; the news was not always good :(

11. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Possibly, though I think it may already have been tumbling when he hit the silk. Scary thought - had the cockpit been facing downwards...

Adrian

12. contax wide boy

contax wide boy Active Member

[​IMG]