1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Interesting old images

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by contax wide boy, Jul 6, 2019.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Sounds right to me. A piece of history.

2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

People tell me I should paint the panelling white but I insist on keeping it the way it was on the ship.[/QUOTE]
    Peasants.

S

Catriona likes this.
  3. saxacat

saxacat Well-Known Member

I had a great uncle who served as a steward on the Mauretania :)

4. contax wide boy

contax wide boy Active Member

Anyone now details of this old image from the 1920's ?
    Almost certainly very nicely colourized but surely staged. ?
    Anyone willing to guess or know if it's more recent or from the 20's ?

[​IMG]

Catriona likes this.
  5. RovingMike

I saw it in one of those click bait things of old photos you simply won't believe. They' re right. The fence is undamaged and wheel is off the car. Early insurance scam :)

6. RovingMike

Speaking of those old clickbait photos, this one popped up yesterday. Claimed to be a whole apartment block in Alba Iulia, Transylvania, being jacked up and moved:

[​IMG]

I showed it to my wife, who lived there for many years and she was amazed to see her old flat moving. She lived in the block and had just had a baby (now my step daughter), so didn't want to stay in while it moved and went to stay overnight with friends. Full story here: https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/structure-relocation-romania-1987/

7. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Not only that - how come the left side running board is damaged? Also the wheel under the car has a snow chain on, as does the left rear wheel - but it doesn't look like the left front has one, considering how clear the others are to see. Trying to figure out what is lying immediately in front of the car, it looks a bit like a jack.

Also the car looks like a model from the 1920s, and yet the colours are excellent and lens very sharp for that era, and yet the print has not faded in the least.

Absolutely definitely staged - possibly a still taken on set from a movie studio.

8. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

According to interweb it is from Washington, 1921 and was colourised by Sanna Dullaway http://sannadullaway.com/100b5xk6etrpcujnezumfzvp40m1ft

9. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I'd agree that it all looks too clear and clean. The depth of field alone suggests a small format.

10. RovingMike

And no tyre marks in the wet behind it.

11. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

That's what I thought but doing a google image search I couldn't find evidence of that. Other than results from the clickbait sites, forums etc I found 2 proper ones, one with a link to the lady above, so I assume it is an old one but def staged i'd say.

EightBitTony likes this.
  12. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

One from the end of the 1960's

[​IMG]

But placards these days are definitely a lot cruder ;)

Catriona likes this.
  13. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Those slip-on shoes the man on the extreme left is wearing look far too modern for the 1920's.
    [​IMG]

14. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

The running board looks a bit battered. And I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that snow chains often were fitted one front and opposite rear. There's what looks like a bit of deceased fender by the tree and none on the car. And one of the headlights has gone a bit astray. If it is genuine and he has had a prang, then I'm not surprised the wooden wheel has collapsed. Also what looks like a bit of a skidmark coming from the front nearside wheel at 02:30. I think it may be the real thing.

S

15. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

16. contax wide boy

[​IMG]

17. Andrew Flannigan

That shot of the Lightning is extraordinarily interesting. What's the source?

18. contax wide boy

19. Andrew Flannigan

I knew a bloke called Tony Swenson who held the (unwanted) record for the fastest ejection. He came out of a Mystere at an estimated Mach 1.5 over a desert in Australia. Poor bugger spent 2 years in hospital.

20. Andrew Flannigan

Here's a picture of Tony which I took for a newspaper article sometime in the 1980s. On the table is the mask that when pulled down over his face fired the ejector seat and the picture shows the Mirage (not, as I said wrongly, Mystere) which he abandoned...

TonySvenson.jpg

contax wide boy and RovingMike like this.