1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Interesting Local Architecture

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by EightBitTony, Jul 8, 2019.

1. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Is that a horrible new bit tacked on to a nearly horrible old bit, or is it all like that?

S

2. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Yeah that’s true. I like where Mike lives. I have a friend in Surrey, have been to Epsom and is one area I’d like to move to. Seeing some of his photos reinforces that feeling. Then I see Kate’s photos from the Isle of Lewis then I want to go there. At least I’m familiar to some extent with Nottingham, in fact there on Thursday, but nice to see other views of it.

EightBitTony and Catriona like this.
  3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

The canal side is really nice.

20190707-7D2-6L3A4447_x800_hq.jpg

Loads of old mills and warehouses around. Now mostly pubs.

20190707-7D2-6L3A4407_x800_hq.jpg

Can't correct this one properly without spending more than 15 seconds on it.

And then, there's a mix of churches, modern and new going up.

20190707-7D2-6L3A4455_x800_hq.jpg

Except one of those churches is a pub, obviously.

dream_police and Catriona like this.
  4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

It looks like one integral design. Some sort of latterday attempt at art deco perhaps? But I looked for the petrol pumps too ;)

5. RovingMike

Just before the awful church is a thing of beauty I look forward to seeing every spring. I don't know if hanging baskets can be regarded as an architectural feature, but for me, they achieve more than most design fripperies could:

[​IMG]_7080226 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

[​IMG]_7080227 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

Yes it is on a hill.

dream_police likes this.
  6. RovingMike

Welcome to come and visit anytime.

I'm loving seeing other peoples' localities too. I guess there's good bits everywhere.

7. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

In Stornoway we are fortunate that we did not lose wrought iron railings and banisters etc during WW2. So saying, we have a lot of it still in place and now attracting Grade B status because of it. I wandered up Matheson Road before ducking down Rose Street and Plantation Road then turning down Mackenzie Street and onto the main drag the A857 and back home. Still frustrated the papers have not arrived. Loganair is absolute sh*t and is doing us no favours since it came back as our aircraft provider recently. Many cancelled flights for no apparent reason. This morning, I even heard the darned plane at 7am - but apparently it didn't land!!!
    Anyway, my walk. I didn't have to go far to find some examples - the first of which I attach here. I'm plodding my way through the 50+ pics I took on my little walk, so I know there's still a few good ones to edit.
    Hope you don't find it too boring!
    ap black railings white tops matheson road.jpg ap black railings white tops side view matheson road.jpg ap cream railings fence matheson road.jpg ap red house matheson road.jpg

saxacat, RogerMac and RovingMike like this.
  8. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I find that even not very interesting buildings can have interesting details...

Panasonic TZ70 8GB H05 P1030411.JPG

RovingMike and Catriona like this.
  9. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

One of the things I find interesting about old buildings is that they seem to freeze time around them so they exist in the period that they were built...

Panasonic TZ70 8GB H05 P1030408.JPG

10. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Incline brakehouse with Clogwyn in background and Snowdon just off:

brakehouse.jpg

And this is what it was for:

incline-ii.jpg
    Wagons of slate for the splitting sheds were loaded onto this, which descended by gravity [on rails], pulling the empty wagon up.

And nothing to do with the quarry:

Reflections-and-moon.jpg

Capel Barachia Chapel, still in use just about 100m from home.

S

Catriona likes this.
  11. RovingMike

Next down from the ugly church in Epsom is a really beautiful one. 'Fraid I don't know enough about church architecture to describe it.

[​IMG]_7080229 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

And why St Martin of Tours, I have no idea, but to me the converging verticals suit it.

12. RovingMike

And then just after the fire station, comes a place I had never even glanced at until this thread opened my eyes to what was around:

[​IMG]_7080230 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

I guess No1 Church St is just offices, but I'm sure in 1895 it must have been something far grander.

[​IMG]_7080231 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

Catriona likes this.
  13. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

It's interesting, but I think the two disparate styles* jar a bit so I don't find it beautiful.

* the tower is original, from the 1400s, the rest is from the early 1800s and is, I think, Gothic Revival, but without all the twiddly bits. The architect has tried to bring them together by his use of materials, but I don't think it quite works.

But then again, I like the previous church you posted - it has character and imagination.

14. RovingMike

And levitation.

Rebuilt in 1963 I read, and featuring a Longhurst Room. Must go down and investigate further.

Thanks for the info on St Martins. I have noticed additions of towers and turrets to several around here. Not quite sure what must have prompted that. Race to prove who's holier perhaps?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    SXH likes this.
  15. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I like a nice bit of cantilevering.

Possibly. Or maybe to prove we have more money and therefore congregants (is that a word?) or a rich sponsor. Or maybe, depending on when it was done, following fashion?

In St Martins' case, the church itself was in ruins but the tower just needed a minor repairs, so they got a Mr Hatchard of Pimlico to rebuild the church, in what is apparently called Commissioner's Gothic. I like both parts of the site, but I just don't think they go together. But rebuilding it in 1400s' style would probably have been a bit difficult. Plus it wasn't trendy at the time. There's quite a good, if short, Wiki page about it.

I'll see if I can dig out my copy of the Surrey volume of Pevsner, see what he (or his minions) think about it. Difficult to predict - good for info, but less so for opinions!

16. RovingMike

Some resemble minarets. Maybe they were going to rent out on Fridays for Moslems?

SXH likes this.
  17. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

One that's out of the Archive...

[​IMG]
    Stansted Cricket
    by Nigel Hayes, on Flickr

The poshest bit of architecture in my immediate locality...

18. RovingMike

For today's Epsom Achitecture fix, I think there is a lot of the old spa town about some of the streets in the centre and radiating out. Upper High St here, opposite the Odeon and the interesting feature for me is the very ornate lintels:

[​IMG]_7080232 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

[​IMG]_7080236 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

Catriona likes this.
  19. RovingMike

Think this thread might have run its course, so I'll just lob in the last one I diligently went out and shot.

Epsom Square looks a bit sad and incongruous, a mass of concrete and modern (but cheap) architecture, off the main drag. I did the big sculptures there for the national database last year, but otherwise it is useful for the library and short cut to the station. I think I might have flattered it a bit:

[​IMG]_7110240 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

[​IMG]_7110238 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

[​IMG]_7110239 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

20. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Not for me :) But at best, I only get out to shoot at weekends.

Catriona and SXH like this.