1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Instagram rights grab

Discussion in 'Smartphone photography' started by AndyTake2, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Unless Facebook have in the pipeline another service they are going to start up which will use the technology they bought from Instagram, the £616m they paid is going to leave a lot of egg on the faces of those who thought it was a good idea. One would have thought that someone at Facebook should have realised that using Instagram the way they seem to be saying they want to use it, would mean that droves of people would leave Facebook, unless they offered a % of the revenue they could/would make, to whoever posted the image/s on their website.

2. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Two things in life are compulsory. Death and Income Tax (Starbucks, Amazon etc excepted). The rest you have a choice.

If you have a problem with Instagram etc, don't use it... Simples!

3. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like someone at Instagram speaking with forked tongue. Anything to do with National Geographic threatening to close their account, I wonder?

4. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Wish I'd seen this thread before posting one over in Talking Pictures. :eek: As you may tell I don't get into my local WiFiPub much.

On topic: In the words of the great Lando Calrissian "This deal is getting worse all the time."

5. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

Now it's been (widely) reported, and Instagram have responded I expect the T's & C's will be changed and this will all blow over.

6. Rupert49

Rupert49 Well-Known Member

I've always understood that a person owns exclusive copyright over their photographs for a period of 70 years, unless expressly waived. Presumably if you discovered that a random image had been used somewhere for commercial gain, you'd be quite within your rights to sue?