1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inside of front lense has mould

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Eastcoaster, May 24, 2013.

1. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

If you have a lens spanner & can get the name plate off cleaning the inner face of the front element should be relatively easy. Iso-propanol or hydrogen peroxide are the best ways of removing the fungus, generally by gentle rubbing via a paper towel. Servicing any deeper or opening the rear of the lens is likely to be a disaster - zooms are complex beasts!
    Tiny screws as used in lens construction are frequently secured with some sort of thread lock. Gentle application of heat or acetone can release them. I'd try a soldering iron on the screw head first. Acetone can be a real problem if it gets on plastics, but application via a q-tip should do the job as well..

As far as plurals go, the standard in English is to add 'ES' to words ending in 'S' so 'lens' becomes 'lenses' as a plural. It is common to see non english speakers simply removing the s to make it singular but this is incorrect.

timtak likes this.
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

7 years 4 months too late.

3. timtak

timtak New Member

Thank you.

No I had not noticed that the last post was eight years ago. However, since this forum thread is high on the list of Google results for Lens Mould, and I see it therefore as an important repository of information on this topic that others will come across, I do not think it is "eek," imho but an effective way of sharing important information with the rest of the world.

I had read elsewhere that lens cleaning was impossible. I found out that it was not. I wanted to get that information out there and, unless someone here deletes it, I think I have succeed in doing that. m(._.)m

Petrochemist and zx9r like this.
  4. timtak

timtak New Member

Thank you. I just turned the plate off with a small screwdriver and used ammonia.

I am English but my spelling is horrible. One or more of the more central lenses is still mouldy. I may try and go in again, from the front only this time. I did not find that the rear screws had thread lock on them, or at least I did not notice. I managed to get them back on again, I think.