1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inside of front lense has mould

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Eastcoaster, May 24, 2013.

1. Eastcoaster

Eastcoaster Member

Hi folks
    I have a Canon EF 75X300 zoom 1.4-5.6 for use on an EOS 550d

I have not used the lense for quite some time and am getting back into our hobby. I have noticed that there is some 'mould' on the inside of the front lense which obviously needs attention.
    I have attempted to remove the three screws securing the lense but I am unable to do so.
    I contacted a local camera store in Beverley and he says he can't do it but can send it away, well I can do that and am waiting for a reply from Canon, within a week, they say.

reccommendations for the next course of action would be appreciated.
    Tony

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Looking at the price of these on ebay as sold items, it may well not be worthwhile as a repair proposition. Even if removed fungus eats into the lens coatings.

Incidentally it is lens in the singular, not lense.

3. Eastcoaster

Eastcoaster Member

Oh, I had not expected this answer as an enquiry, I'm quite dismayed. I moderate other forums which are more constructive and I expected a more constructive reply here.

For your info, the lense/lens is not of a HongKong pedigree, cheap version.
    The lens/lense is of Japananese manufacture and will not be easily aforded by the fleebay comunity.

Whilst we are comparing prose
    Lense is a multiple of lens of which my lense does have, being of multiple lens design. The words lens and lense in both UK and USA diction is acceptable in both contexts, though the word lense in the singular is frowned upon, though cceptable in common terms.
    Perhaps you would care to have another go at a more responsive reply instead of the rubbish you state so that others, including new members, may be encouraged by your obvious dismisal of this enquiry.
    It appears that this board is incapable of correc tions in spelling, acceptible being one failed correction
    Tony

4. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

In defense of Nimbus I looked this lens up on the internet once I had decoded that it was a Canon EF 75-300 f/4-5.6 III. They are being sold now widely at £99 to £115 brand new rather than the original list price of £299. I know not why.

An OP on another thread has reported today that his Canon zoom repair cost £2.99 for parts and £111 in labour if he goes and collects it himself.

This is maybe what influenced Nimbus to observe that the repair cost might well exceed the price of a new lens.

5. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

It's a pity you can't accept an answer given in good faith. You'll find it is a common answer on here and it is a worthy response. Paying for the repair that might cost more than a replacement is uneconomical. So advice pointing this out is surely good advice. Whatever your opinion on the lens debate is. On here a lens is a lens no matter what you think about lenses. Oh are you local.

6. Eastcoaster

Eastcoaster Member

Is that defence or defense.
    Both mean the same and are used in the same context and is acceptable in both US and UK terms dependant on the way in which you were taught.
    No argument intended, this is just a play on words and their meaning, as understood by the reader, but is it worth commenting on, on a forum? I think not.
    As a writer I use words which mean the same but have a slightly different slant, dependant on how they are used.
    Anyway, there is no need for a lesson in English here as there are other more important items to be discussed.
    I do accept opinions of those who are more experienced than I but have I been given good advice, I'm not sure
    Tony

7. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

One of our AP Moderators "Benchista" is a highly experienced Canon user - he will be the best to deal with your question and maybe your grammatical nuances which I feel unqualified to comment on all of a sudden.

8. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

There are some suggestions here for trying to remove mould from inside a lens, though I would suggest that disassembling and successfully reassembling a zoom lens is not for the faint-hearted! :)

9. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

10. Eastcoaster

Eastcoaster Member

Thanks for this, it does answer a big question as to how, the lense/lens has been tucked away for quite some time but not in an airtight box, very interesting link. thanks again.
    Tony

11. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

If fungus (thready appearance) is inside the lens then difficult to eliminate completely. You would need to replace the elements and ensure realignment is exact.

12. Eastcoaster

Eastcoaster Member

Those tiny screws are so tight I did not want to cause any damage I used a jewellers screw driver, not much leverage though. I was thinking that i may be able to get a tool to do this. Perhaps one with a hole through the handle to place a bar through and then turn using this extra leverage. Once i can open it the job should be straight forwards, but its gertting inside thats the problem
    Tony

13. Eastcoaster

Eastcoaster Member

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ------------ Mahatma Gandhi

14. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

You're right, you can't get much leverage with those small jeweller's drivers. For just these jobs bought a normal size driver with the correct small phillips head. It makes all the difference. Draper 1043 PHILL 0x100 - if you can find one anywhere

15. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Given your attitude I don't think I will bother.

16. Eastcoaster

Eastcoaster Member

Had a look round but it has gone from the universe, there's bound to be a solution somewhere, if at first you don't suck seed keep digging

17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Right, gentlemen, can we be civil, please?

Several points:

1. You can remove the element yourself, but your chances of correctly aligning it when you refix it are slim - which will lead to poor performance. Waste of time.
    2. Fungus can be deactivated with UV light - if it's not too severe, frankly that's your best solution - unless it is severe, there will be little effect on your pictures from it.
    3. The 75-300 really isn't a very expensive (or particularly good) lens - I would agree that it's unlikely to be worth the cost of repair, sadly. That really is a constructive reply - not worth throwing good money after bad.
    4. Are you sure it's not just a bit of dust, in which case ignore it?

Fen likes this.
  18. Eastcoaster

Eastcoaster Member

Fair enough.
    I have had a very close look at the lens and it just appears as though the contiminant, whatever it is, is only small and in small areas. You are quite correct, there is no obvious visible disturbance to photographic quality I will monitor it and even try your UV light idea. If it is a mould then the UV will keep it under control.

I found the lens quite good and am happy to keep shooting with it, for now anyway.

Thank you for your replies
    Tony

19. timtak

timtak New Member

My Canon EF 20-35 (but double that since I am using it on a digital camera) L lens got lots of mould. I live in Japan, which has a very a humid climate.

I had read that mould is the end of lenses and I had never attempted to clean a lens of mould before.

I have given up SLR photography and only take photos with my phone but, my wife uses the SLR to take photos from long range of our children at sports and other events, so...

I took the L lens apart. The front can be opened using rotation, with small screwdriver into one of the two the little holes. The rear can be opened using the tiny screws.

I could not get to the lenses in the middle of the lens.

But using ammonia water on the front and rear glass that I could get to, the lens is now usable at a smartphone or more quality.

20. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Hi @timtak, and welcome to forum. :)

Had you noticed that the most recent reply on this thread (prior to yours) was more than eight years ago?! :eek: :D