1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infrared- Life in another Light

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by dream_police, Jan 18, 2021.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Geren and Dan S like this.
  2. Fen

Fen The Destroyer

Oh bugger! I didn't know of this competition, I might have entered with some of my IR work.

Nevermind... one for next time :)

Some great images there.

3. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

I think Kolari have a competition every year.
    I had heard it was coming up but haven't shot much this year.

4. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Those are amazing. I don't really know anything about infrared photography, and I haven't seen any with such amazing colours before. What makes those colours, does anyone know?

5. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

I think the first one was just selective post processing - recolouring a monochrome IR image. There's no way to get an effect like that direct from the camera.
    Several of the others (those in the infrared chrome category) are using (or digitally mimicking) 'Kodak aerochrome' an Infrared film that records IR in the red channel, while recording visual light as normal. My Foveon cameras can manage a similar look when the IR blocking dust trap is removed.
    Several of the others have the look of 'high colour IR' readily achievable using a red filter instead of the cameras usual IR blocking filter. This generally gives red/brown skies & blue foliage SOOC Usually a red/blue channel swap converts this to the popular 'goldie' look (Blue skies & yellow or golden foliage), but there are other output possibilities such as a severe adjustment of the hue slider somewhere over +/-120 degrees.
    That covers those I recognised there are a few I'm not sure off, and one that looks to me like it's taken in normal visual light!

steveandthedogs and Dan S like this.
  6. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I'm not that keen on colour IR and definitely do not like the Aerochrome look.

Got to be mono for me.

S