1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Amateur Photographer magazine online community.

Why not create an account and take advantage of this free resource.

Infrared landscape .

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by Oleg2016, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Oleg2016

Oleg2016 Well-Known Member

infrared landscape .Kursk Russia July comp_ 2IMG_020021.jpg

Jeff Farkas likes this.
  2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I suspect the colour original looks better. Can't see what the IR is achieving here?

Oleg2016 likes this.
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hi Oleg. I’m not good at judging infra-red, it isn’t something I do although my son likes it so much he had a 6D converted. The foliage looks a bit dark - usually it comes across as quite white in normal processing.

Oleg2016 likes this.
  4. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Bit underexposed, but like it otherwise.

S

Oleg2016 likes this.
  5. Oleg2016

Thanks ;):)! I really wanted to try it IR. My camera is not modified , CAnon 700D +filter Hoya 72 + tripod

6. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

White is usual for 720nm & longer filters, this looks more like a 600nm filter.
    The normal post processing for these is to carry out some channel swaps to end up with blue skies & gold foliage. I personally usually stick to the colors SOOC or simply play with hue slider.
    I have to agree with @steveandthedogs it's slightly underexposed but a nice composition.

Oleg2016 likes this.
  7. Petrochemist

It's unusual to be able to get that much color from a 720nm on a non modified camera (especially Canons which tend to have very strong hot mirrors).
    Well done but beware - IR can be addictive!

Oleg2016 likes this.
  8. Oleg2016

Thanks!

9. steveandthedogs

Try using the 720nm on mono.

S

10. Oleg2016

Thanks! Black-white and Filter? Very interesting

11. RovingMike

I think choice of subject, composition and the lighting are even more important that usual. There are a lot of tutorials online that are worth watching / reading.

Oleg2016 likes this.
  12. steveandthedogs

No, use the 720nm IR filter but set the camera to mono.

On the Fuji and Pentax you can choose black and white film simulation. No idea about other makes. Set the film simulation, fit the filter and press the button! You may need to use a stop or so over exposure.

Remember that IR does not focus on the sensor the same as visible light; on a normal camera, set the focus to infinity, then move the focus back to about 20-30m. This does not seem to be needed on the Fuji mirrorless.

S

Oleg2016 likes this.
  13. Oleg2016

Thanks! At that I understood.;)

steveandthedogs likes this.
  14. Petrochemist

AFAIK Focus adjustment is not needed for any mirrorless camera. All of them use use the sensor itself to focus.
    The normal 720nm look is monochrome using healthy foliage for a CWB. I've never used the B&W simulation when taking the photo, desaturating after the shot is easy.
    I'm not at all sure that I'd like this as much in monochrome, it works brilliantly for some shots & some photographers feel compelled to use monochrome for all IR, but i like the faux colour effects too.

Using CWB is highly recommended for IR, but it doesn't seem to matter too much what you point the camera at, Grass is the standard, but concrete, paper & skin also work well with subtly different results.

Oleg2016, spinno and steveandthedogs like this.
  15. geoff_piltz

geoff_piltz Well-Known Member

Converted to greyscale and brightness and contrast adjusted.

comp_ 2IMG_020021_gs.jpg

16. RovingMike

But it looks flat, dull, grey.

17. Jeff Farkas

Jeff Farkas Well-Known Member

I like that one because it's different. Sometimes different is the way to go with a scene like that. A full color version would also look nice I suspect but I do think that's a creative twist on that
    Well done.

18. Jeff Farkas

Yes.. it's not as good as the original. IMO

19. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Love it!

Jeff Farkas likes this.
  20. Jeff Farkas

I like the first one.. it's so different and I like that about it.