1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infra Red Film

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Marmin, Dec 31, 2001.

1. Marmin

Marmin Member

I have a Dynax 404si and would like to know if i can use infra red film successfully in it. The manual says that it shouldn`t be used but doesn`t explain why, yet a friend has told me that it should work okay. I can also have occasional use of a Dynax 7 so would this work any better. Help!
    Thanks

2. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

At a guess (and I know nothing about Minolta!) I would say that model must use an IR sensor to count film frames (as on canon stuff) and this somtimes can fog IR film.

Mario Greppi FRIPN
    www.dreamphotos.org
    www.streetphotos.co.uk

3. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Marmim,

Both the 404Si and 7 use IR frame sensors to count the frames and this would cause fogging of the IR film Rebate, The last Minolta AF camera that I know of that doesn't use IR sensors is the 600 Si.

Looks like you won't be able to use IR film!

RonM
    "Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely" (Auguste Rodin)

4. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Judging by press tests, the Canon models only seem to fog the rebate, the frame area is untouched.

If the film isn't too dear for it, try "wasting" a roll to see what happens, using all your lenses right through their range. /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

I have discovered photography. Now I can kill myself. I have nothing else to learn. (Picasso)

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Depends on the film - HSIR can be more significantly fogged.

Nick NRIPN
    Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity.

6. JohnW

JohnW Active Member