1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infra Red 35mm B&W

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by bench_ubbster, Aug 9, 2006.

1. bench_ubbster

bench_ubbster Well-Known Member

Can somebody advise me on how to get a similar effect (without going digital) with currently available B&W 35mm film as I got with Ilford's SFX200? Is their a B&W IR film still on general sale, available in the UK or is their some combination of normal wavelength B&W film and filter I can use to mimic the effects?
    Cheers.

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

SFX wasn't an IR film - it just had extended red sensitivity. I have to say I'm not sure what IR films are actually available now beyond the Rollei one.

3. The Circle Of Confusion

The Circle Of Confusion Well-Known Member

As Ilford SFX is no more (though there are rumours of a limited production run in the future) your basic choices are:

Rollei IR 400
    Kodak HIE

HIE is the 'best' but it is expensive (about £10 a roll at most places).

Rollei IR is a bit like SFX but it goes a little further into the infra-red than SFX did. I've been using it quite a lot lately and I rather like it. There's more info on my site:

http://www.thecircleofconfusion.com/blog/static.php?page=RolleiIR400
    http://www.thecircleofconfusion.com/blog/index.php?entry=entry060614-131318

4. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

Don't forget that Kodak High Speed Infra-Red Film has to be loaded and unloaded in total darkness. As a starting point I suggest setting the meter to 400 ISO with a red filter.

When the exposure is right, the results are superb.

5. My Canon 50E instructions say that infra red film should not be used as the laser frame counter will fog the film, albeit along one edge only.
    Bri

6. bench_ubbster

It's okay, I'm using a Nikon FM2, so laser frame counter fogging should not be a problem.
    I did here that 35mm SFX200 was coming back in limited runs, but it's a case of watch this space.
    SFX200 although not a "true IR" film has quite unique qualities and I find it so easy to handle and have no problem getting it D&P in a normal (ie not expensive) way.

7. The Circle Of Confusion

You might have fun getting Rollei IR processed by a lab. For starters they might not have heard of it. It should also be prewashed to get rid of the green anti-hallation layer. Your lab might not like doing this. Print off the film's datasheet and take it with you just in case!

Rollei is much easier to handle than HIE but it is not quite as friendly as SFX. The biggest problem is light-piping where light gets into the film base and leaks out inside the can. It usually doesn't go too far in but I would recommend you load it in subdued light.

8. bench_ubbster

Many thanks for the advice. I've taken a look at your website (very nicely done too), forgive me for the extra questions, but the Rollei IR film does tempt me into giving it a try. When you say SFX filter is this just a red filter? Also, what chemistry do you use and can you tell me more about processing times? You also say it needs a prewash, is this just with water for a few minutes?
    I see from searching on the net, Silverprint supply this film, is this the only supplier?

9. The Circle Of Confusion

The SFX filter was (is?) a very deep red filter supplied by Ilford for use with SFX film. I'm not sure if you can still buy it. I think it is equivalent to a Hoya R72 or Wratten #89B. You can just see through it if you hold it up to the light.

Rollei actually suggest you use a Wratten #88A which has a slightly different cut-off point. I've not got this filter so I can't comment.

I develop it in Rollei's own "High Speed Developer" but it can be processed in other soup just as well. I've got a datasheet somewhere that has times etc. It was a pain to find so I'll try and post a link. I'll also check my notes at home.

I think Silverprint are the only UK stockist. Although not listed on the site they will ship single rolls not just the 10 packs. There's another retailer in Europe who will ship to the UK but their name escapes me.

For the pre-wash just load the film into your dev tank and then fill the tank with water. Invert the tank a few times. Let it stand for 30-60 seconds, invert it a few more times then empty it out. The water will be a very deep shade of green-blue, this is normal!

10. bench_ubbster

Great many thanks. Found the data sheet and an alternative supplier.

web page

11. The Circle Of Confusion

Glad to be of help :)

I used Rollei High Speed developer 1+7 at 20C for 5 minutes as per the instructions on the bottle

Rollei's developing notes suggest 6 minutes! They also say 6 minutes in ID11 or D76. See: http://www.thecircleofconfusion.com/media/data/Development_Rollei%20films.pdf

The biggest problem I had was loading it onto the reels for my dev tank. It tends to stick and I think this is because the anti-halation layer soaks up moisture like a sponge. I would avoid dev'ing it on a warm humid day!

12. jkphoto

jkphoto Well-Known Member

Some time ago I saw some very respectable images that at first glance could have been taken on Infra red. However they were either Kodak Tri X or Ilford HP5 I cannot remember which; but the photographer has used a red filter (x6) suplimented with a polariser. The effect was great and although I have tried to emulate it since I have had little effective results that could compare. The down side as far as I can see is the speed of the film which started out at 400iso was reduced down to something like 12iso depending on the strength and effect of the Polariser.

I had a try with Maco IR 850 film earlier this year. Whilst it does have a IR effect it is not a patch on the true Kodak IR. I think it was the missing halo effect around highlights and the lack of pronounced grain is the reason.

Kodak IR is becoming a bit pricy when you can find it so hopefully there may be an alternative somewhere out there.

13. acero31

acero31 Member

I've just bougth SFX from Mr Cad. Dated 08/2006 though. I keep it in a fridge till I need it. There are batches of SFX floating around Mail order suppliers at the moment.

14. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

You can emulate the effect if IR in Photoshop. Use channel mixer, reduce blue to almost nil, increase green and red until you get the tonal quality you want. Then to get a film-type effect add grain (noise) and finally, to emulate the lack of an anti-halation backing, use Diffuse Glow.

You can also use an IR filter on some digital cameras, and record the IR light directly. As many CCDs have an IR filter in front of them, the effectiveness of this varies from model to model. Pentax works quite well, Canon hardly at all.

15. acero31

acero31 Member

I recently bought a load of SFX from Mr Cad, check other mail order firms, some are getting old stock (not expired).

16. Simon E.

Simon E. Well-Known Member

Mr Cad has no SFX200 left.

However, Ilford have done a production run of SFX200 in 35mm only, which is likely to be available sometime next month. This may be the first of a regular annual run.

If you want them to make SFX200 in 120 (for which they have no plans) then pester, badger and nag them. They *are* listening to customers, and if enough of us request it they'll eventually go ahead.

Simon.

17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Just badgered them again on the subject....

18. Col. Hogan

Col. Hogan Well-Known Member

I saw some pictures in the current issue of View Camera that looked like they were taken with IR, but the photographer used a yellow-green filter. I'm going to give it a try soon.

As for the Rollei, I took some test rolls before it came on the market. I treated it just like I was shooting Maco 820c and was able to get a similar effect with it. I use a Wratten 88A filter. I bought mine from a place in the US called Harrison & Harrison. I believe others have used the Lee 87 gel filter with this film successfully. The ISO 400 is the speed rating prior to using a filter (and compensating for it), I believe.

19. bench_ubbster

Just contacted Mr Cad, they are expecting some (SFX200 35mm) later this month, so get your orders in!! I should think they will need to ration it as they say it's a limited stock.

By the way I've sent my begging letter to Ilford. They must derive some pleasure watching us plead and grovel!

20. The Circle Of Confusion

Now that is good news :) Parrrr-tayyy :D