1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inexperienced newbie.

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by simon haycocks, Sep 27, 2020.

1. simon haycocks

simon haycocks New Member

Hi, just clicked the link to introduce myself. I've recently been away to the west coast of scotland and kicked myself for not taking a proper camera, iphone cameras just don't do the scenery justice! So to get back into dslr's i've splashed out not a lot of money on a lightly used second hand sony. I used to have a canon 450d years ago which i used to learn manual modes. I'm hoping to pick up from where i got to with the canon. I don't have any particular field i want to photograph, i just see something and think to myself, that would look good in a photo! I do go to watch motorsport quite a lot so will be using the camera for that.
    I went for the sony which has A mount lenses because they seem very inexpensive compared to others. I know i won't be spending a lot so image quality won't be top notch but i'm not too fussed as long as they're reasonable, doing it more for interest than winning comps.
    Anyway, i've got a lot of questions so will be trawling through this forum looking for answers and probably asking some dumb questions!

2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Hello!

S

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome. Ask away. I’m sure that you’ll have a lot of fun with the Sony.

4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard.

5. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the madhouse, Simon. If motorsport is your thing there's a member who goes by the name @Fireproof Creative who does some very good motorsport stuff (I'm hoping the fact that we haven't seen much of him lately is because there's not been much motorsport).

Fireproof Creative likes this.
  6. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Welcome Simon!

7. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Hi there,

So what model of Sony you using then?

I currently have A58 which works for me quite good. I like to travel light so just use a 16-300mm lens onbaord.

But also have portrait lens for studio work and low light LOL

I created a self rule of keeping kit to small bag of around 1KG LOL

When I switched from film to digital which was first with bridge camera the freedom was bliss by the tons LOL

Actually I still shoot film as well LOL

Bit of retro fun :p LOL

anyway hi there LOL

8. simon haycocks

I’ve also got an a58 with the standard 18-55 kit lens. I am looking into getting an 18-200+ lens because I like to travel with just one all rounder lens.
    The camera was only cheap but I’ve been taking a few random pictures of all sorts just to try it and am pretty happy with the quality, good enough for me anyway.

9. P_Stoddart

Oh right, LOL

well I have the 16-300mm Tamron f3.5-6.3 which was a upgrade from the 18-200mm

But I got some good shots with the 18-200mm. I also have the prime portrait lens 50mm f1.8 for studio shooting.:)

very light to carry as well for outdoor shooting if extra light needed for a shot.

So Simon do you have particular subject(s) you like shooting? Street, landscape?? LOL

10. simon haycocks

No nothing in particular really. I like landscapes and do watch a bit of motorsport.

11. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

You don't say which Sony DSLR you have got, but assuming it's one of their half-frame (APS-C sensor) ones, if you are serious about landscape shots it might be worth looking for a used old-model Sigma 10-20 mm zoom. I have used one of these for some years (purchased second hand, of course) and it's one of my favourite lenses. I have seen these advertised by the reputable retailers who advertise in AP for less than £200 in Canon and Nikon mounts, but a Sony A mount one may be less common. At F8 - F11 the lens is very sharp and great for landscape work, and I have a screw in graduated neutral density filter that I use on the lens for all my landscape shots. You can get a lot of sky in the shot with a lens like this, and the angle of view at the wide end of the zoom means that a polarising filter will give uneven effects across the shot, hence the ND graduated filter.

If you want any advice about second hand lenses, many Forum members will offer advice (I just got in first).

12. P_Stoddart

The poster did say A58, which Sony users know is actually a SLT not dSLR because has EVF not OVF :)

I am now awaiting the delivery of a refurbished A77 as I could find a real benefit for spending more on a A77ii LOL

Plus the spare cash gave me chance to grab a 11-18 lens.

The A58 indeed has a APS-C cropped sensor.

13. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I missed that - it's not in the original post, but in a reply later,

14. John Fantastic

John Fantastic Active Member

Welcome Simon, I'm new in this forum too. :)

15. John Fantastic

John Fantastic Active Member

Welcome Simon,

Everybody starts as a newbie. :) You will learn fast as long as you sustain the interest.

16. P_Stoddart

Well I got my A77 MK1 :)

What a step up from the A58!!! But heavy :p

I certainly will enjoy the snapper performance when grabbing shots :)

Love the on screen level indicator :)

Very happy that on this design the back screen can be turn around and protected.

EVF noticeably clearly and seems bigger :)

Because this camera pre dates my A58 all my computer workflow is not affected :)

Just got to work out whether memory card upgrade is needed? Because I know existing card are slower than more modern

cards and the A77 is a fast camera in terms LOL

But from my knowledge of the amount of data shooting say 12fps at 24MP I don't think there is any SD card with that

kind of performance. I worked out in RAW+JPG it going to be 360MB/s heading for memory!!

Most SD memory write data rates are approx or burst rate. :-o Plus I am not sure the A77 supports UHS-II specs? :-o

It might not have existed or been agreed at the time the cameras was designed and manufactured. :p