1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Increase in film use?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wheelman, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Wheelman

Wheelman Well-Known Member

I took half a dozen rolls of film in to my local Mini Lab in Sevenoaks yesterday.

I was having a chat with the owner, as you do, and inquiring how things were going as I have a vested interest in him keeping in business as I do still like to exercise the film cameras and it would become a bit of a pain if I have to send everything off in the post, but I digress...

He was saying that he has seen a marked increase in film use, so much so that he had to order a lot more film stock in before Christmas to satisfy demand. This was also evident in the amount of processing coming in as well.

We did have a brief ponder as to why and he was of the opinion that a lot of the newer cameras are too complicated and the effort to required to download and print and in the case of DSLRs post process in PS or similar was more than a lot of people wanted to do.

I didn't have time to try and ascertain whether it was an older generation thing as he had customers to serve-I may get a chance when I pick them up next week.

Perhaps the death of film is not as close as we thought...

2. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

... and I was surprised at the number and variety of films offered by Milton Keynes newest Jessops, in the city centre shopping centre. Not refrigerated as they used to be in the original shop near the rail station, but if they're selling well, that probably doesn't matter.

3. peterf

peterf Well-Known Member

The Jessops store in Swansea also reported an increase in the use of film over the Christmas period.

4. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

Dead cat bounce?

Love film, but........

I guess that there are young whipper-snappers out there who enjoy experimenting with film, long may it continue.

5. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

I wonder if this is the fault of the walk in labs themselves?

Because if you shoot digital and have your memory already. 9/10 times you have go to a console using a touch screen & transfer the image etc etc.

People don't want that. They just want to hand it over to a expert. Then come back 24-48 hours later for the prints. Film forces the lab to do just that.

You go in hand over the film give your address. Total time about 5-10 minutes. If you don't like computers that what you want. Digital can do that but labs seem to not realise people want the human touch. Not be faced with another computer console.

That's what I think anyway.

6. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

.......and perhaps he was just talking the excrement of the male cow in order to pass the time of day and pander to the sympathies of someone who had just come in with half a dozen rolls of film.................ie. he was being "friendly" which often necessitates the need for an exaggeration of the truth in preference to the expression of cold hard facts? Who knows..................but a resurgence of film use...............I'd sooner believe in the tooth fairy! :eek: ;) ;)

Big(Skeptical! :eek:)Will

7. P_Stoddart

Your forgetting the two other posts in the thread about increase demands for film. Both in different locations.

Don't forget to post some images of this tooth fairy. :D

8. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

I would......but like increase in film use.......it doesn't exist! ;) ;) ;)

BigWill

9. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I've heard she looks like a sexy Ann Widdicombe....so she must be real....

10. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

Film has got to a pretty low ebb so it doesn't seem difficult for there to be a bit of an increase in use. A 100% growth from zero isn't very much. There are certainly people out there who don't have computers and use film.

11. Still_Togging_Along

Still_Togging_Along In the Stop Bath

Maybe sales in Lomo cameras increased? Well, I suppose people have to start somewhere!

12. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Well, it's not down to me. I've been working my way through a brick of 127, and I've still got 7 left. I've had a real block lately - for several months, in fact - regarding taking "proper" photos. It's been record shots or nowt for months (those of you who've seen me post in appraisals may think its the latter!).

It tends to be "easier" to get the results I want with my G10 - after half an hour of working out where the hell the bleedin' menu has gone - for everything except stuff requiring a shallow DoF, a lot to do with being able to see what you've got, but I just find the mechanical stuff so much more intuitive and faster to use, so there's a chance that the object (fly, cow, mountain etc) is still there when I've finally got everything set. As for whether there's enough people like me out there to make a difference, somehow I doubt it!

Besides, when is anyone going to produce a digital back that will allow me to slip it in my Box Brownies?

Adrian

13. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

100% increase from zero is still zero.

14. P_Stoddart

Maybe other photographers are using film to stop the police from deleting their photos after being stopped for "terrorism". :D

15. Dave_Cox

Dave_Cox Well-Known Member

With the exception of my favourite rangefinder I've just given away all of my 35mm gear. I get better results from digital, larger prints without enlargement and don't have to wait a week to see the results.

No problem with those who do still use it, but I'm not going back!

16. Wheelman

Wheelman Well-Known Member

Blimey Will, that was in full cynic mode-has the missus hidden the Bushmills again? (or did you find it !) :D

I have been using the place for several years now and both the guys in there are keen photographers (and they use Canons !) I have no reason to suspect he was telling me porkies as there would be no need to.

A recurring theme in our conversations has been the use of film and when I first started using them there had been a marked drop, which resulted in him having to lay off a member of staff. This drop levelled out and usage has been increasing slightly, possibly due to other processors in the town shutting down their operations. The local camera shop also closed although this won’t have made an impact as he did their processing anyway.

An interesting point is that this is a high street outlet and most enthusiastic photographers are more likely to buy from the Channel Island outlets, I know I haven’t bought film from a retail outlet for years, and so is more likely to be indicative of a general trend.

I don’t think there is any chance that film will ever return to anywhere near the level it was, but perhaps the comparison with CD and Vinyl is now slightly off the mark as the increase seems to be with the general user rather than the enthusiast.

I will be content if it just sits at a level that will sustain the production of the film and cost of running the processing equipment. Quite how long this will last…

17. T_Sargeant

T_Sargeant Well-Known Member

Based on my own day-to-day experience film has certainly climbed again over the last 2-3 years, to qualify, I mean that "new" film users are more common. There are the older people with film cameras who don't want to go digital, or never will, and they will continue to bring in the C41 on a semi-regular basis. Equally there are a LOT more people using lomography style cameras (which can be a real pain in the lab!) as well as (strangely IMHO) a really stallwart group of E6 shooters. The one thing I don't see a lot of these days is B&W, still sell the film quite often, but the majority of it is to college/school students who process it there. Long may it continue I say, after all, variety is the spice of life...