1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Incoming Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II (Maybe)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Simon Leung, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Thanks, I always level in lightroom. :rolleyes::cool:

Joking aside I've been considering getting a soft shutter button for my 35mm SLRs, as I've noticed there's often a wee incline in the direction of the shutter button action.

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Ah but have you given up on expensive camera lenses?

peterba likes this.
  3. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

:D :D :D

Zou likes this.
  4. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Of course not, surprised you even mentioned it.

Zou and peterba like this.
  5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

But naturally you only buy based on need and appreciation, and nothing so vulgar as "want". Right? Right?

spinno likes this.
  6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

So level I guess he straightens his horizons in an editor. I put together a newsletter for a volunteer group and feel a need to straighten most photographs, including my own.
    Boots in Nottingham were pushy on selling new specs. Last time, I went to Boots in West Bridgeford, got the free NHS tests, and was told that my specs were OK. I am due for a new test and will get new specs because the present ones are scratched and very tatty. The West Bridgford branch will get my busyness.

7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I appreciate expensive lenses but do not need them.

8. Bazarchie

Without meaning to be offensive to anyone, I am somewhere between Chester AP and Pixelpuffin when it comes to equipment. I have more than I need but less than I want. Bird photography is expensive and there is always better in terms of equipment. Photography is my main hobby, all hobbies are expensive. I usually buy used equipment most of which is several years old.

Zou, WillieJ and spinno like this.
  9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I think many of us follow that path, new is nice but I don’t see the point in paying double if it can be avoided.

Zou likes this.
  10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I was shocked at the last price from Boots (4 or 5 years ago) - then they looked up my history and showed that the real cost had been pretty constant for the last 30 odd years. I don't do designer frames either but I usually get both a photochromic and a plain pair - both varifocals. Not doing much photography since we have not been going anywhere because of Covid I've been wearing the photochromic. They totally ruin judgement of colours ! I have to wear plain if I'm taking pictures.

Bazarchie likes this.
  11. PeteRob

I'm a fan of the artificial horizon on my Fuji cameras which shows as a green line across the centre of the viewfinder. I'm getting better at holding the camera level which is immediately obvious. When I first started using the horizon I used to have to jiggle the camera to turn the line green, now I look at the scene and the line is often green by itself and, overall, I do less software correction than I used to.

12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

On digital my horizons are usually pretty level without needing adjustment, but I do have a grid overlay on screen which helps compose for 1:1 and 5:4 aspect ratios. Don't really use it for horizons but I suppose it being there probably helps. Also the shutter button action on my digital is much softer by design.

13. Simon Leung

Simon Leung Well-Known Member

It is with a extremely heavy heart to announce that my Canon EOS-1D Mark II with both lenses, along with two batteries and my camera bag were stolen and found destroyed on Saturday.

It's 2 AM on Thursday in Richmond and I am still shaken from the experience.

Course of Events:

I went to a nearby McDonald's in Downtown Vancouver on Saturday, I had just sat my camera and along with the camera bag down on the table to stand in line to place my order. I was keeping my eye on the camera and bag from time to time as I made my way towards the cashier, the manager was cleaning tables and had turned around the corner to clean the far end of the restaurant, that was blocked off by a wall. The Food Pick-Up counter was blocked by guests standing at the two cashier counters,by now I couldn't see my camera. I heard the voice of the manager, who yelled at the culprit who took the camera and the bag. The both of us gave chase, but we couldn't catch him.

Luckily, there was no images on the 32GB SD Card but the two batteries were fully charged. She hurried back inside and I made my way back to grab my order sitting at the pick-up counter, she walked up to me and said "Let me remake your order." Either I didn't notice or I didn't pay attention to her name tag, my mind was a blur as to what had happened but I did say "Thank you". After lunch, I went for a walk in Downtown about three blocks into my walk, I came across what appeared to be my camera that was strewed in pieces on the middle of the street. The EF 40mm f2.8 STM was smashed and all that was left of the EF 85mm f1.8 USM lens, all that survived was the rear lens mount with contacts still attached and no sign of the lens.

I picked up the camera, with both of my shivering hands and placed the items into the garbage can. Even though it was a warm sunny day, I felt cold as I was trembling. My wallet, cell phone and keys were inside the pockets of my jacket, as I was walking on I fought hard not to cry.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  14. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

Well mate whilst distressing, I do feel that you had too much confidence in leaving it un attended. :(

Simon Leung likes this.
  15. Bazarchie

Very sorry to hear your news about your camera gear. You seemed to have become very fond of that camera in a short space of time.

Simon Leung likes this.
  16. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

That's horrible! I had a Canon EF that was stolen by someone whilst getting my wheelchair out of the boot of the car, because I'd left it on the driver's seat with the door closed, but had forgotten to wind up the window. That resulted in me buying my Dynax 9 a lot sooner than I'd intended to.

Simon Leung likes this.
  17. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

What an awful experience!

And why smash it?:confused:

Some people are just a complete waste of protein...:rolleyes:

Simon Leung likes this.
  18. PeteRob

How annoying. I'm still cross at losing my camera kit in 1987 - but that was a break-in at the house. Leaving it on a table was rather asking for it, bag thefts are very common. Even if the bag is underneath or beside your chair/table, with you sitting down, you should keep the strap engaged. A bag is easily pulled out without you noticing.

zx9r likes this.
  19. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear this.

Simon Leung likes this.
  20. Simon Leung

Simon Leung Well-Known Member

I sincerely appreciated the support of kind messages from Keith, Steve, Sam, Nigel, Pete and David.

Thank you, gain.
    Simon.

zx9r likes this.