1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Incoming Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II (Maybe)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Simon Leung, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Simon Leung

Simon Leung Well-Known Member

After purchasing my Canon EOS-1D Mark II less then a month ago, I decided to check into getting another camera but this time upping the ante a bit by looking at a Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Full-Frame for $428.90 or £247.48. The local seller from Vancouver had advertised the item on eBay, I sent them a message to see if I can purchase the camera in person. If they agree, that would be fantastic since I don't have to pay the shipping charge and if doesn't work out, I'm going to buy from another seller.

Cheers,
    Simon.

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The price certainly seems reasonable. Apart from anything else, check the battery and charger as both can be hard to find and expensive (although Amazon has sold reasonable third party versions of both in the past).

Good things about the 1Ds II...
    • Built like a tank.
    • First class viewfinder.
    • 16.7MP sensor more than adequate for most purposes.
    • Very fast and intuitive to use.
    Bad things about the 1Ds II...
    • Remember that tank? After an hour or two, feels like you're carrying the tank.
    Camera Canon 1Ds II on tripod Sony DSC-R1 07088.JPG
    Rescue helicopter demonstration at Dawlish 1Ds II 7908.JPG
    Cinnabar Moth caterpillar on flower in garden 1Ds II 12CL8818.JPG

Pirate ship Brixham Harbour 1Ds II12CL8727.JPG

peterba likes this.
  3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

That Tank weighs in at about the same as a Nikon D4 and I carried two of those around Wisley for three and a half hours yesterday, if you really want to use the 1Ds you will manage the weight easily enough. I doubt it is much heavier than the 1D you already have.

4. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Can I ask why you need both? If it is in decent condition I am sure it will be fine.

5. Bazarchie

Geoff, I’m sure you have explained before why you carry two bodies, but why two bodies for Wisley?

How was Wisley at this time of year?

RogerMac likes this.
  6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Ever tried to isolate a single flower in the middle of a trials plot with a 24-70 or the glass house lake with a 70-200?

Wisley was beautiful and there was so much to see that we only saw a small part of the garden, very different from our last visit in July.

7. Bazarchie

Thanks

I would change the lens.

Zou likes this.
  8. Andrew Flannigan

Different people, different perceptions; different people, different needs; different people, different decisions.

9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Since when did need come into it with cameras?:)

10. Simon Leung

My opinion of owning two cameras, is that I now own two lenses. 1) EF 40mm f2.8 STM and EF 85mm f1.8 USM, since I don't like changing lenses when shooting it would make more sense to swap cameras with different lenses, therefore reducing the chances of dust into my sensor. 2) my EOS-1D Mark II is an APS-H 1.3 crop sensor, whereas the EOS-1Ds Mark II is a 16.7 MP Full Frame sensor, both cameras share the NP-E3 NiMh Batteries and with the 85mm mounted on the 1Ds it would give shallower depth-of-field (think B-O-K-E-H).

Cheers,
    Simon.:D

11. Simon Leung

The EOS-1Ds has two additional batteries and one charger that is shared with my EOS-1D Mark II and it is the same battery (NP-E3) used on the EOS 1D Mark II-N .
    The EOS-!D Mark II is slightly heavier than the 1-Ds,which I don't mind I love heavy cameras.

12. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

I had a 1Ds 1&2 for several years and both great cameras and the price you can pick them up for now is an absolute bargain.

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

An entirely reasonable position however, carrying an extra lens implies a bag of some sort to carry it and it has to have strap to keep both hands free. The smallest bag I own is a Billlingham Hadley One which weighs 1.38Kg, a D4 body weighs 1.18Kg. Of course once one has a bag there is the temptation to add a spare battery and some memory cards, a battery add 150g making the bag and a spare battery 350g heavier than carrying a second camera body.

Obviously I could chose a lighter lens than the 70-200 AF-S VRII f2.8 but as I don't actually own another telephoto zoom covering the same range that isn't practical. I think I will stick with carrying two cameras and enjoy the convenience of being able to switch from one to the other as the situation requires. The situation would be different if I was using a smaller, lighter body with a different range of lenses. As Andrew points out.

Bazarchie likes this.
  14. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Your selective quote missed the important bit "if you really want to use the 1Ds you will manage the weight easily enough". Simon already has a 1D II so I am sure he is very well aware of the weight.

15. Andrew Flannigan

Why do you not accept that the opinions of others are just that? One person's OK weight is another person's too much weight. :rolleyes:

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Play nicely, boys and girls...

17. Andrew Flannigan

Apologies. I've changed that to sound a little less annoyed. :(

18. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Andrew I did accept your point of view, to the extent of quoting it.

19. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I note that you don't like changing lenses, Simon, but on the presumption that you're not completely averse to doing so, it also makes a two-lens kit into (effectively) a kit of four focal lengths i.e. 40mm, 52mm, 85mm, 110.5mm. :)

20. Bazarchie

Try before you buy if you. The difference in results between a 1.3 x sensor and FF may not be as much as you expect. I notice the difference between 1.6x and FF but that crop sensor is obviously much smaller.