1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Inbox APS-C bridge (14th March 2020)

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Learning, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

David Boothroyd comments on the feasibility of an APS-C bridge camera with a lesser zoom.
    There is little doubt that such a camera is feasible. The question is would it sell?
    Wouldn't potential buyers have many ideas about the required zoom lens?
    I suggest that an ilc bought with one zoom is every bit as good as a bridge and buyers can choose their zoom. An ilc does increase the cost because of the added complexity, however replacing several bridge cameras with a single camera made in a larger quantity, reduces cost because of larger manufacturing volumes. The same ilc might also satisfy potential purchasers who actually want interchangeable lenses.

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Someone is way out of date.

Sony did this 15 years ago with their DSC-R1 which was a very nice camera indeed. Although it was favourably reviewed at the time (the lens alone was often cited as worth the price) it seems to have been a step too far for the market. It was introduced at a penny short of £1,000 but I got mine brand new for £330 just two years later. If they brought it back with the 24MP sensor from the A65 I'd buy it without hesitation.

Camera Sony DSC-R1 TZ40 1020239.JPG

3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

As you say "a step too far for the market". It proves the feasibility and was actually a good camera.
    £1000 in 2005 was a lot of money for a bridge camera.

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The interesting thing is how many reviewers described it as "incredible" value for money on the basis of the lens. I had no end of fun with mine...

Addlerblick Zillergrund Mayerhofen R1_02021.JPG

Canal dwellers Long Buckby R1_03013.JPG

Hillman Minx R1_05222.jpg

Learning likes this.