1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inbox APS-C bridge (14th March 2020)

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Learning, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

David Boothroyd comments on the feasibility of an APS-C bridge camera with a lesser zoom.
    There is little doubt that such a camera is feasible. The question is would it sell?
    Wouldn't potential buyers have many ideas about the required zoom lens?
    I suggest that an ilc bought with one zoom is every bit as good as a bridge and buyers can choose their zoom. An ilc does increase the cost because of the added complexity, however replacing several bridge cameras with a single camera made in a larger quantity, reduces cost because of larger manufacturing volumes. The same ilc might also satisfy potential purchasers who actually want interchangeable lenses.

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Someone is way out of date.

Sony did this 15 years ago with their DSC-R1 which was a very nice camera indeed. Although it was favourably reviewed at the time (the lens alone was often cited as worth the price) it seems to have been a step too far for the market. It was introduced at a penny short of £1,000 but I got mine brand new for £330 just two years later. If they brought it back with the 24MP sensor from the A65 I'd buy it without hesitation.

Camera Sony DSC-R1 TZ40 1020239.JPG

3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

As you say "a step too far for the market". It proves the feasibility and was actually a good camera.
    £1000 in 2005 was a lot of money for a bridge camera.

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The interesting thing is how many reviewers described it as "incredible" value for money on the basis of the lens. I had no end of fun with mine...

Addlerblick Zillergrund Mayerhofen R1_02021.JPG

Canal dwellers Long Buckby R1_03013.JPG

Hillman Minx R1_05222.jpg

Learning likes this.