1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

In the studio

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Dan S, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

I had a great time doing some recording and it was a good opportunity to capture some of the concentration and the elation when it all comes together. I thought I'd share them here.

[​IMG]studio-6 by Dan, on Flickr

[​IMG]studio-25 by Dan, on Flickr

[​IMG]studio-29 by Dan, on Flickr

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    Geren and dream_police like this.
  2. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Learning and dream_police like this.
  3. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

4. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Learning, Geren and dream_police like this.
  5. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Learning and dream_police like this.
  6. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Interesting. Musical ability comes high on my list of non-achievements, so can only look and admire.

Dan S and Geren like this.
  7. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Yeah, interesting shots Dan. Wish I was musical. I suppose I could play drums, that can't be too hard just hitting something with sticks.;)

Dan S and Catriona like this.
  8. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Not fair - drummers take a lot of stick (pun intended)...

A drummer, tired of being wound-up by his fellow band members about not being a 'proper' musician, decides to learn to play a new instrument.

He walks into his local music shop and has a look around for an instrument that's suitable for him to learn. After an hour or so of browsing, he finally walks up to the counter and says to the owner "Right. I've decided. I'll take the saxophone and the accordion!"

"Well" says the owner, "you can have the fire extinguisher, but I'm afraid the radiator's got to stay fixed to the wall".

Cheers, Jeff

AndyTake2, Dan S, Geren and 4 others like this.
  9. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

That was the one thing I couldn't get the co-ordination right when I was in the RAF. I could play the brass instruments, though it did make me a bit rubber-lipped afterwards. Seeing me playing a trombone must have been a hoot (I was so little and skinny). I could play keyboard instruments, being a piano player from when I was a toddler - but the drums? No. I put it down to being left handed and the strange way you had to play military drums. The melody with the right hand and a beat roll with the left.
    Hey-Ho, I play nothing now.

10. Catriona

What a hard place to take pictures. You did well. I love the portrait shots caught in the darker bits.

Dan S likes this.
  11. Fishboy

Ah - I'm an idiot! I was so busy telling a rubbish joke that I forgot to say how much I enjoyed looking through this set - there's some good stuff there!

Cheers, Jeff

Dan S likes this.
  12. dream_police

We have a clarinet at home (both my girls played), we have a banjo (my dad's from when he played in a jazz band, my brother has his guitars), a mandolin, and we used to have a piano (both the girls used to have piano lessons). I can't play a thing. I really like music too, it's a big part of my life. Should really give something a go. The problem is, I've being saying that for years

Catriona likes this.
  13. Catriona

A recorder? Could be fun.

14. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That's old even by the normal standards of the forum!

Our living room is once again set up with a drum kit and the second generation now is learning. It had temporarily relocated from the hallway to my son's house, but he moved to a semi. The kit has relocated back until such time as he sound-proofs the garage. All my 4 boys can play to some competence, the grandkids seem to have also the knack. I can't play - how they can do different things with left/right hands/feet all in the right order and timing just amazes me

15. dream_police

Having heard the girls play them at school, and having to endure primary school recorder concerts, I can assure you it won't be fun.

Catriona likes this.
  16. dream_police

I think I'd be the same. Imagine an uncoordinated octopus that also happens to be drunk. That'd be my arms and legs. (well half of the octopus of course!)

Catriona likes this.
  17. Fishboy

I have an autoharp, mandolin, bodhran, electric piano, synthesiser, tin whistles, harmonicas, kazoos, an ex-studio eight channel recording desk, around fifteen different guitars and four amplifiers (including a full stage PA system set up in my kitchen!) and I can strum my way through The House of the Rising Sun without making more than only two or three mistakes!

Cheers, Jeff

Catriona likes this.
  18. RovingMike

My kids played piano and then keyboard, first a Casio then a big Yamaha, but sadly gave it up. Pity, they were quite good. I got into Book 2, but left it at that. Their grandmother played by ear with no lessons at all. She could hear something and play it immediately. She had a really big organ with all the pedals and stops and we used to gather round at Xmas.

19. RovingMike

Sounds like your own Grand Old Opry.

20. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

My Dad was like that. Used to play concerts (care home type stuff, nothing professional) with an accordion band. Knocked the music off the stand and put it back upside down. Made no difference to him as he couldn’t read it but the person sharing the music was most confused.

RovingMike likes this.